Pre-Operative Instructions for Surgeries under General Anaesthesia or Intravenous Sedation
All patients undergoing a general anaesthetic or intravenous sedation, please read the following information carefully:
Pre-Operative (before surgery) Instructions
1. DO NOT eat any food after midnight on the night before your surgery.
2. DO NOT drink any fluids, including water, after midnight the night before surgery.
3. DO NOT smoke or consume alcohol for 24 hours before surgery.
4. Patients taking birth control medications please be advised that its effectiveness may be reduced when taking antibiotics.
Failure to comply with these instructions can jeopardize your well-being prior to surgery and your surgery MAY BE CANCELLED.
Surgery Day/ IV Sedation Instructions
1. Please take your home medications with a SMALL sip of water at their regular times on the day of surgery unless advised otherwise at your consultation appointment.
2. A responsible adult must accompany you to the office, be prepared to stay, take you home and remain with you until you have recovered from the effects of the aesthetic. You are considered legally impaired and CANNOT drive for 24hrs after receiving anaesthesia. PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIDE ON SURGERY DAY, YOUR SURGERY WILL BE CANCELLED.
3. Shower, brush your teeth and put on comfortable clean clothing.
4. DO NOT wear makeup, nail polish, or contact lenses. Remove any tongue, nose or lip jewellery.
5. Asthmatic patients please bring your inhalers.
6. Diabetic patients please bring your insulin and glucometer if available. Please check your blood glucose prior to the procedure.
Please note that we do our best to stay on schedule. Due to the unpredictable nature of surgery, your appointment time is an approximation and you may be waiting 1-2 hours. If we are running late, it is because the patient ahead of you has been given additional time and attention to ensure a successful surgery. The same consideration will be given to you in a similar situation. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated.