History of AIDS - HIST 430
Christopher [dot] Lyons [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-4475 x09847
Note: Items marked McGill only are only accessible from McGill authenticated computers, such as in the Library, or remotely via VPN. To find out how to access these resources, go to Connecting to Library Resources at McGill and Remotely
Reference sources (encyclopedias/ dictionaries/ bibliographies)
- The Cambridge Historical Dictionary of Disease.McGill only This work has an entry on AIDS.
- Epidemics and Pandemics: Their Impacts on Human History.McGill only Includes sections on AIDS with bibliographies and suggested readings.
- Oxford Reference Online McGill only This source searches multiple reference books, providing definitions and brief information for terms and people in medicine and history, drawing upon works such as the Oxford Companion to the Body, the Oxford Concise Medical Dictionary, and the Oxford Companion to the History of Modern Science. This resource can be searched in total or by specific subject areas.
- AIDS: Political, Social, International Aspects, compiled by Joan Nordquist. Santa Cruz, CA: Reference and Research Services, 1998. Humanities and Social Sciences - Reference (McLennan Bldg, Main floor) Z7164 S66 C62 no.10.
- AIDS in Third World Countries: a Bibliography, compiled by Joan Nordquist. Santa Cruz, CA: Reference and Research Services, 2003. Humanities and Social Sciences - Reference (McLennan Bldg, Main floor) Z7164 S66 C62 no.69.
- Encyclopedia of AIDS: a Social, Political, Cultural and Scientific Record of the HIV Epidemic, edited by Raymond A. Smith. Chicago: Fitzroy Dearborn, 1998. Humanities and Social Sciences - Reference (McLennan Bldg, Main floor) RA644 A25 E5276 1998.
- Encyclopedia of Pestilence, Pandemics, and Plagues, edited by Joseph P. Byrne. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2008. Osler Reference WA 13 E564 2008. This has three sections on AIDS.
- The History of AIDS: a Selective Bibliography, compiled by Young K. Rhee. Bethesda, Md.: U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institutes of Health, History of Medicine Division, National Library of Medicine, 1993. Osler Reference ZWC 503 R469h 1993
- Women and AIDS: a Bibliography, compiled by Joan Nordquist. Santa Cruz, CA: Reference and Research Services, 1993. Humanities and Social Sciences - Reference (McLennan Bldg, Main floor) Z7164 S66 C62 no.29.
Article indexes, databases and full text sources
History of medicine
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine (HSTM) McGill only The HSTM database provides access to journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of medicine and allied fields, science and technology.
NOTE Most of the medical entries date from 1991 to 2004, so to locate earlier works on the history of medicine it is best to consult the Subject Catalogue of the History of Medicine and Related Subjects (Osler Ref folio ZW 1 W447s 1980 - 18 volumes), published by the Wellcome Library, for the period 1900-1978. Material from 1979-1991, and a great deal more, can be found in the The Wellcome Library online catalogue, which contains records for books, journals, reports, pamphlets, theses, patents and images. Later references can also be found in the general history indexes listed below.
- LocatorPlus This is the catalogue of the National Library of Medicine in the United States, containing records of books, book chapters (individual essays) and audiovisual material.
- America: History and Life McGill only This contains references to journal articles, book reviews and some dissertations about Canadian and United States history from the earliest times. Its subject coverage is broad and includes medical topics.
- Historical Abstracts McGill only This contains references to journal articles, book reviews and some dissertations about the history of all parts of the world from 1450, EXCLUDING Canada and the United States. Its subject coverage is broad and includes medical topics.
- NOTE: You can search both "America: History and Life" and "Historical Abstracts" simultaneously by selecting both in the choose databases section, the link for this is located next to the database name.
- The AIDS Education Global information System (AEGiS.org) The mission of this online database is to facilitate access to current patient/clinician information specific to HIV/AIDS and to preserve for future generations a global history of the pandemic with its historical news, scientific publications and treatment database. AEGiS consists of more than 1.3 million articles, covering the world from 1981 to the present.
- MEDLINE Produced by the U.S. National Library of Medicine (NLM) MEDLINE is a major bibliographic index of journal articles covering the fields of medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and the pre-clinical sciences going back to before 1950, including some historical articles. One can limit a search to material specifically about the history of medicine.
Key medical journals
- AIDS, McGill only 1988-present. This journal has the highest impact rating of all AIDS medical journals and is full text searchable.
- JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, McGill only 1883-present. This is full text searchable.
- The Lancet, McGill only 1823-present. This premier British medical journals covers a great variety of topics and is full text searchable.
- The New England Journal of Medicine,McGill only 1823-present. The online holdings include previous journal titles and goes back to 1812.
- PubMed Central, in collaboration with the Wellcome Trust, has digitised a number of nineteenth and twentieth century medical journals, including The British Medical Journal. The content of this and other publications can be searched in PubMed Central.
- LexisNexis Academic McGill only LEXIS/NEXIS Academic is an online service providing a wide range of full text information covering law, news, and business. Coverage is international but varies in depth for various countries and states. The legal section contains U.S., Canadian and European historical and current court decisions, as well as articles from law journals and reports.
Newspapers and related
- Factiva McGill only Factiva Free Text/Indexing allows you to search a collection of more than 8,000 global sources including newswires, newspapers, websites and television transcripts by searching words in the publication title, or by selecting an industry or region. Over 118 countries are profiled in this database. Results are full text and coverage is contemporary.
- LexisNexis Academic McGill only LEXIS/NEXIS Academic is an online service providing a wide range of full text information covering law, news, and business. Coverage is international but varies in depth for various countries and states. Content goes back to c.1980, but with older references as well. Many of the references are also full text.
- Readers' Guide Full Text McGill only This is the on-line version of The Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, an index to U.S. popular periodicals. The online version indexes material from 1983 to the present, with select full text from 1994. You can get older material by opening the database selection area and selecting Readers' Guide Retro
Arts, Literature and Film
- Artistic Expression and HIV/AIDS This website, part of a larger one called The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource indexes websites that deal with aids in different media, such as film, literature, photography and music.
- National Film of Board of Canada This is the online catalogue of films made by the National Film Board, founded in 1939 to make films for the Canadian Government. One can browse by subject and view some films online.
- The Archives de Montréal has the records of the various bodies of the City of Montreal and a number of local organisations. One can search collection level descriptions by using the "guide des archives."
- Les Archives gaies du Québec This Montreal based archives collects archival and published material related to the history of the gay and lesbian communities of Quebec, including the AIDS epidemic. It is open to the public at set hours or by appointment.
Historical Medical Images
- AIDS Posters An online collection by UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library, History and Special Collections Division
- Images from the History of Medicine There are nearly 60 000 scans of images in this database from the collection of the History of Medicine Division of the National Library of Medicine.
- Wellcome Images The Wellcome Trust Medical Photographic Library has scans of over 160 000 historical and contemporary images. Search for historical images in advanced mode.
- McGill University's Library Catalogue lists almost all of the printed holdings in the various branches of the McGill Library, as well as electronic, microform and audio-visual material.
Other Useful Information
- The Library's How to cite page has information on various citation styles.
- Connecting to Library Resources at McGill and Remotely
- Branch Libraries/Collections
- Who to contact for mor help
- Information on Interlibrary Loans for McGill Users
This page was created and is maintained by Chris Lyons, Head Librarian of the Osler Library.
Do not hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at: 398-4475, ext. 09847; by christopher [dot] lyons [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email) , or at the Osler Library, room 418.