McGill Artificial Pancreas Lab
Diabetes Quick Facts
- Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease caused by the loss of insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
- Type 1 diabetes accounts for 5‑15% of 400 million people with diabetes worldwide.
- Type 1 diabetes strikes both children and adults at any age.
- People with type 1 diabetes must carefully balance insulin doses (either by injections multiple times a day, or continuous infusion through a pump) with eating and other activities throughout the day and night.
- With the currently available treatment options, less than one in five patients achieve glucose targets.