My group and I look at how people meet their needs through use of ecosystems and natural resources, the role this plays in developing regions, and the institutions we create to mediate these relationships. Our research methods draw from environmental and development economics, ecology, development geography, and geographic information sciences – collectively taking a land system science approach to answer policy-relevant questions.
- ResNet: Sustainable & Resilient Ecosystems for Canada
- Co-benefits of Natural Climate Solutions
- Pathways to Equitable Healthy Cities
- PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2011)
- MEng, MIT (2005)
- MCP, MIT (2005)
- BSc, Georgia Tech (1999)
- Updated publication list [https://scholar.google.ca/citations?user=CDpl5ZwAAAAJ&hl=en]
- Peng WJ, Robinson BE, Hua Z, Li C, Wang FC, Li RN. 2022. “The Limits of Livelihood Diversification and Sustainable Household Well-being, Evidence from China” Environmental Development. 43: 100736. doi: 10.1016/j.envdev.2022.100736
- del Giorgio O, le Polain de Waroux Y, Robinson BE. 2022. “Impacts of agricultural commodity frontier expansion on smallholder livelihoods: an assessment through the lens of access to land and resources in the Argentine Chaco” Journal of Rural Studies. 93: 67-80. doi: 10.1016/j.jrurstud.2022.05.014
- Li XY, … Robinson BE, … Carter E. 2022. “Socio-economic and demographic associations with wintertime air pollution exposures at household, community, and district scales in rural Beijing, China” Environmental Science & Technology. 56(12): 8308–8318. doi: 10.1021/acs.est.1c07402
- Garcia CA,… Robinson BE, … Waeber PO. 2022. “Strategy games to improve environmental policymaking” Nature Sustainability. 5: 464–471. doi: 10.1038/s41893-022-00881-0.
- Dade M, Bennett E, Robinson BE. 2022. “Property rights play a pivotal role in the distribution of ecosystem services among beneficiaries” Ecosystems and People. 18(1): 131-145. doi: 10.1080/26395916.2022.2037715.
- Baumgartner JC, … Robinson BE. 2022. “Synthesizing the links between secure housing tenure and health for more equitable cities” Wellcome Open Research. 7(18): 1-18. doi: 10.12688/wellcomeopenres.17244.1
- Tseng TW, Robinson BE, … Masuda YJ. 2021. “Influence of land tenure interventions on human well-being and environmental outcomes” Nature Sustainability. 4: 242-251. doi: 10.1038/s41893-020-00648-5
- Li RN, … Robinson BE, … Daily GC. “Time and space catch up with restoration programs that ignore ecosystem service tradeoffs” Science Advances. 7(14):eabf8650. doi: 10.1126/sciadv.abf8650.
- Mandle L, … Robinson BE, … Ricketts TH. 2021. “Increasing decision relevance of ecosystem service science” Nature Sustainability. 4:161–169. doi: 10.1038/s41893-020-00625-y.