B.A. (Cambridge), M.A. (Cambridge), M.A. (Queen’s), Ph.D. (London), FRSC, Professor
Canada Research Chair in Eighteenth Century Studies and Director of the Burney Centre.
Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Literature (especially the novel); Textual Editing.
Laval University, Queen’s University, University of Calgary.
Co-general editor of a twenty-four volume edition of the Works and Correspondence of Samuel Richardson, under contract with CUP; general editor of a six-volume edition of the Letters of Dr Charles Burney, under contract with OUP.
Reading with Austen. Principal Investigator. www.readingwithausten.com.
The Additional Journals and Letters of Frances Burney (Volume II - 1791-1840), ed. (Oxford University Press, 2018).
Samuel Richardson in Context, ed. with Betty A. Schellenberg (Cambridge University Press, 2017).
The Cambridge Edition of the Correspondence of Samuel Richardson. Correspondence with Lady Bradshaigh and Lady Echlin, 3 vols., ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
The Cambridge Companion to 'Emma', ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2015).
Jane Austen's Manuscript Works, ed. with Linda Bree and Janet Todd (Broadview Press, 2012).
Shakespeare in the Eighteenth Century, ed. with Fiona Ritchie (Cambridge University Press, 2012).
The Court Journals and Letters of Frances Burney (Volume 1 - 1786), ed. (Oxford University Press, 2011).
Shakespeare and the Eighteenth Century, ed. with Paul Yachnin (Ashgate, 2008).
The Cambridge Companion to Frances Burney, ed. (Cambridge University Press, 2007).
Jane Austen's Juvenilia, in The Cambridge Edition of the Works of Jane Austen (Cambridge University Press, 2006).
Pamela in the Marketplace: Literary Controversy and Print Culture in Eighteenth-Century Britain and Ireland, co-author with Thomas Keymer (Cambridge University Press, 2005).
Varieties of Exile: New Essays on Mavis Gallant, ed. with Nicole Côté (Peter Lang, 2002).
The Pamela Controversy: Criticisms and Adaptations of Samuel Richardson’s Pamela, ed. with Thomas Keymer, 6 vols. (Pickering & Chatto, 2001).
The Complete Plays of Frances Burney, ed. with Stewart Cooke and Geoffrey Sill, 2 vols. (Pickering & Chatto, 1995).
Samuel Richardson: Tercentenary Essays, ed. with Margaret Anne Doody (CUP, 1989).
Horace Walpole: The Critical Heritage (Routledge, 1987).
Horace Walpole: A Reference Guide (G.K. Hall, 1984).
Editions of works by Samuel Richardson, Sarah Fielding, John Cleland, Horace Walpole, Frances Burney, Jane Austen, and Thomas Carlyle for Penguin, University Press of Kentucky, Pickering & Chatto, Broadview, Juvenilia Press, and OUP.
- Visiting Fellow, St Edmund Hall, Oxford, January-March 2020
- Visiting Fellow Commoner, Trinity College, Cambridge, January-March 2019
- Royal Society of Canada Fellow
- Visiting Fellow, Magdalen College, Oxford, January-March 2016
- Traveling Lecturer, Jane Austen Society of North America, 2016-2018
- Donald and Mary Hyde Fellow, Houghton Library, Harvard University, October 2015
- Visiting Fellow, Chawton House Library, August 2015
- Canada Research Chair, 2017-2024, 2010-2017, 2003-2010
- SSHRC Insight Grant, 2012-2017
- SSHRC Standard Research Grants, 2009-2012, 2006-2009, 2002-2005, 1999-2002, 1996-1999
- Marjorie Wynne Fellow, Beinecke Library, Yale University, May 2008