The McGill Alumni Association (MAA) celebrated some of its most dedicated alumni and volunteers at its annual Honours and Awards Banquet tonight. Student leaders, graduates who have had a significant impact on alumni life and the community, and volunteers with outstanding records of service to McGill were honoured at a banquet held at the Omni Mont-Royal Hotel in Montreal.
Each year, the MAA selects outstanding volunteers for recognition. These students, graduates, faculty, staff and friends of the University lead McGill’s international network of alumni branches and make a difference in communities on campus and around the world. Others are individuals who have made a lasting impact on McGill through decades of service to the University, by participating in fundraising efforts, and by offering their expertise to University advisory and governing bodies.
This year’s honorees included Quebec businesswoman and former Vice-Chair of McGill’s Board of Governors Lili de Grandpré, who was presented with the MAA’s highest honour, the Award of Merit. Other honorees were former president and CEO of Alcan Jacques Bougie, NFL and CFL draft prospect Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Quebec “Cranberry King” Marc Bieler, and Dantes Rameau, who was named to this year’s Ebony Power 100 list alongside President Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey for his work on the Atlanta Music Project.
The McGill MBA students who won the $1-million Hult Prize for Social Enterprise last fall for their plan to provide more food security to undernourished communities by farming insects for food received a Special Recognition Award.
List of Winners
- Lili de Grandpré, MBA’81 – Award of Merit
- Ann Vroom, BA’67 – Distinguished Service Award
- Marc Bieler, DipAgr’58, BA’64, and Marie Bieler, BSc(Agr)’80 – Distinguished Service Award
- Jacques Bougie, LLD’10 – E.P. Taylor Award
- Dantes Rameau, BMus’05 – James G. Wright Award
- 2013 Hult Prize Winners: Mohammed Ashour, MSc’11, MBA’17, MDCM’17; Gabriel Mott, MBA’14; Jesse Pearlstein, MBA’14; Shobhita Soor, BSc’10, BCL/LLB’15, MBA’15; Zev Thompson, MBA’14 – Special Recognition Award
- Chandra Madramootoo, BSc(AgrEng)’77, MSc’81, PhD’85 – David Johnston Award
- Benjamin Burko, BSc’84, MDCM’88, and Kevin Lachapelle, MDCM’88 – David Johnston Award
- The Honourable James Nelson, BCom’69 – Robert Fung International Award of Distinction
- Kelly Meighen – Honorary Life Membership Award
- Earl Zukerman, BA’80 – Faculty and Staff Award
- High Tea Couture in Montreal: Celebrating 125 Years of History, McGill Women’s Alumnae Association – Alumni Event of the Year Award
- Laurence Gagnon, Cert PR Mgmt’07, McGill Alumni Association of Boston – Catherine Nance Common President of the Year Award
- McGill Young Alumni – Montreal – Charles Peters Branch of the Year Award
- Engineering Class of 1953: Jacques Dubuc, Jean-Claude Garneau, Lawrence Jackson, William Pangborn and Douglas Pollock – D. Lorne Gales Award
- Anita Mountjoy, BN’66, MSc(A)’76 – Alumni Student Engagement Award
- Jonathan (JC) Collin, BEd’14 – Gretta Chambers Student Leadership Award
- Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, MDCM’15 – Gretta Chambers Student Leadership Award
- Joël Taillefer, BCom’14 – Gretta Chambers Student Leadership Award
- Bernice Ting, BSc(FSc)’14 – Gretta Chambers Student Leadership Award