Committee on Enrolment and Student Affairs
At its meeting of May 2009, Senate retired the University Admissions Committee, the University Committee on Scholarships and Student Aid, and the Committee on Student Affairs, and replaced them with a new committee called the Committee on Enrolment and Student Affairs.
Terms of Reference
The Committee on Enrolment and Student Affairs (“the Committee”) is a Standing Committee of Senate charged with oversight to enrolment and student affairs matters.
SPECIFIC AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. The Committee shall review and recommend to Senate:
- policies as they affect course timetabling, student records, and student affairs in general
- principles regarding sessional dates and specific sessional dates for all faculties and for the Centre for Continuing Education, including the beginning and end of the session, holidays, and examinations
2. The Committee shall review and recommend to Senate, where appropriate in collaboration with the faculties and Academic Policy Committee:
- policies related to academic integrity
- policies related to student advising and orientation
3. The Committee shall review and approve in the name of Senate:
- new awards and changes in the conditions of existing awards made by the University to its students; awards include scholarships, fellowships, prizes, medals, bursaries, loans, and the work-study program
- the admissions standards and policies of the University
4. The Committee shall report annually to Senate about:
- policy recommendations
- actions taken in the name of Senate
- awards and financial aid provided to McGill students
5. The Committee shall strike a subcommittee with the Dean of Students as Chair that would make recommendations regarding procedures for review of admissions decisions and, as needed, review the application of such procedures in individual cases. The subcommittee shall report annually to the Committee.
6. The Committee shall meet at least three times during the academic year.
Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning), Chair
Associate Provost (Graduate Studies) or delegate
The Dean of Students or delegate
Three delegates of Deans from among the large faculties
One delegate of a Dean from among the small faculties
One representative of Senate from the administrative and support staff, on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee
Three representatives of Senate from the academic staff on the recommendation of Senate Nominating Committee
One representative named by the Alumni Association
Two undergraduate students
One graduate student
One student representative of Macdonald Campus
Source: Senate Minute IIB4.2, May 20, 2009