- Guggenheim Fellow (2017-present)
- External Faculty, KLI Institute for the study of natural complex systems, Austria (2017-present)
- Member, Royal Society of Canada, College of New Artists. Scholars, and Scientists (2016-present)
- Adjunct Professor in the Social Interactions and Complexity Research Group at Arizona State University, USA (2015-present)
- E.W.R. Steacie Award Fellow - Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (2014-2016)
- President, Pan-American Society for Evolutionary Development Biology (2013-2015)
Evolutionary developmental biology. Comparative and functional gene expression studies in ants and other insects are used to study the evolution of developmental regulatory genes and gene networks; the importance of ecological influences on development and evolution; and the relationship between molecular and morphological evolution.