5th Annual Trainee Research Day 2017
The 5th Annual TB Centre Research Day on June 2, 2017 was a great success. There was great attendance and a buzz that can be seen in the photo gallery: https://goo.gl/photos/HQkuvsoTn8aieSMA9 (Photos courtesy of Jing Liu).
Dr. Daniel Chin from the Gates Foundation gave an insightful talk entitled "TB Delivery for Impact" by drawing on his extensive experience with TB control in China. Dr. Chin Biography
Kudos to our many winners!
For the Poster Session, there were many great presentations and the winners were:
Marwan Ghanem (Behr) received first prize
Laura Mendonca (Divangahi) received second prize,
Wilian Macedo (Schurr) received third prize.
The Oral Presentations were divided into two categories and also had fine presentations:
Eva Kaufman (Divangahi) won 1st prize for a CTB (Centre for translational biology) presentation
Zhiyi (Tommy) Lan (Menzies) won 1st prize for a CORE (Centre for Outcomes Research and Evaluation) presentation
2016 Publication Winners:
· Jonathan Meakins Prize for Best Paper in Clinical Research by a Graduate Student
Schumacher SG, van Smeden M, Dendukuri N, Joseph L, Nicol MP, Pai M, Zar HJ. Diagnostic Test Accuracy in Childhood Pulmonary Tuberculosis: A Bayesian Latent Class Analysis. Am J Epidemiol 2016
· Jonathan Meakins Prize for Best Paper in Clinical Research by a Postdoctoral Fellow
McDowell A, Pai M. Treatment as diagnosis and diagnosis as treatment: empirical management of presumptive tuberculosis in India. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016
· Margaret Becklake Prize for Best Paper in Health Outcomes Research by a Graduate Student (Epidemiology, Public Health or Global Health Research)
Alsdurf H, Hill PC, Matteelli A, Getahun H, Menzies D. The cascade of area in diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis, Lancet Infect Dis. 2016
· Margaret Becklake Prize for Best Paper in Health Outcomes Research by a Postdoctoral Fellow (Epidemiology, Public Health or Global Health Research)
McDowell A, Pai M. Alternative medicine: an ethnographic study of how practitioners of Indian medical systems manage TB in Mumbai. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2016
Travel award winners 2016-2017:
· Fall competition winners: Sophie Huddart (Pai) who presented at the Union NAR; Nargis Khan and Laura Mendonca (Divangahi) who went to the Keystone Symposia
· Spring competition winners are Sophie Huddart (Pai), Emily McLean (Pai) and Stephanie Law (Menzies) for the fall Union meeting.
Congratulations one and all for an excellent event and all of the fine presentations!