Travel and commuting activities at McGill are responsible for about a quarter of the University’s greenhouse gas emissions. The approach proposed in the McGill University Climate & Sustainability Strategy aims to reduce business-related transportation emissions without compromising the University’s mandate as a leading research institution. Reducing emissions from travel—especially air travel–and commuting is essential towards achieving the University’s long-term target of reaching carbon neutrality by 2040.
Click the links below for guidance on how to reduce the environmental impact of your travel and commuting.
See below for links to resources available at McGill and in Montreal to help you travel sustainably.
- IT’s list of videoconferencing facilities across the university
- The MS-74 innovative classroom offered by Teaching & Learning Services
- Online hubs to share knowledge and resources: OneDrive, D2 (document management solution) and Yammer
- Microsoft Teams for online meetings and chats (free for McGill community members)
- Zoom for remote teaching and learning (free for McGill community members)
Tip: Ask your unit whether other video-conferencing facilities are available upon request.
- Map of downtown campus bicycle racks
- Self-serve bikes available for loan for free at Macdonald campus
- Free bike repair workshops offered by the FLAT Bike Collective
- Free self-serve bike repair stations outside the McConnell Engineering and Bronfman Buildings
- La Route Verte’s network of biking trails
- The 747 bus between downtown and the P.-E. Trudeau airport
- The STM’s recommended apps, Transit and Chrono, for bus and metro schedules in Montreal
Electric Vehicles & Car Rentals
- Map of electric vehicle charging stations at the downtown and Macdonald campuses. There’s also a charging station at the Gault Nature Reserve. [Note: This map was last updated in March 2022. If you have any questions, please sustainability [at] mcgill.ca (email .)]
- Communauto car-sharing service
- Resources for booking rental cars within and outside of Canada
- Federal and provincial electric vehicle subsidies
Tip: Check out the McGill Travel Services’ website for additional information.
- Intercampus shuttle bus between the downtown and Macdonald campuses for full-time students with a valid ID (with equipment to transport two bicycles)
- Parking and Transportation Services’ Transport website on how to get to, from and around our campuses
- McGill’s adapted transport service, free to students and staff with mobility impairments
- The STM’s paratransit program
- McGill campus access guides on the accessibility of different buildings
Sustainability Ratings of Accommodations
Discounts for McGillians
- BIXI bike-share program’s annual membership discount
- Discounted rate for VIA Rail for students traveling for University-related purposes and for faculty and staff traveling for any reason and including up to three co-travelers
- Special arrangements with hotels near the downtown and Macdonald campuses, many within walking distance
- Preferential hotel rates in Canada for staff through the Canadian Association of University Business Officers (CAUBO)
- Discounts when booking flights through Direct Travel
Comparing modes of transport: Efficiency and emissions
- Natural Resources Canada’s fuel consumption ratings tool for fuel efficiencies of different vehicles. Rule of thumb: Select the smallest vehicle appropriate for the intended use and group size
- Travel time and emissions of planes, trains and cars for popular VIA Rail routes
- Greenhouse gas emissions for different flight options when booking flights with Direct Travel
- Greenhouse gas emissions for different flight options on Google Flights