Please follow the link below to the McGill Experimental Surgery Website for further details.
SURGICAL SCIENTIST PROGRAM: Application process
Department of Surgery
The mission of the Surgical Scientist Program of the Department of Surgery is to train surgical scientists who will be the future leaders in academic surgery. The program funds one year of full-time research towards a graduate degree.
Please note that only RAMQ paid residents are eligible to apply to the Surgical Scientist Program.
All programs must be a minimum of 18 months in duration. The deadline for submission is December 8th for graduate programs starting on July 1st of the following year. Residents applying/admitted to a Master’s or PhD program in Experimental Surgery (https://mcgill.ca/experimentalsurgery/) and Epidemiology ( https://mcgill.ca/epi-biostat-occh ) are eligible for funding by the Surgical Scientist Program. Applications for graduate degrees in other McGill Faculties will also be considered.
To be eligible to apply for the Surgeon Scientist program residents must have applied for the FRQS training award (Master's or Doctoral Training for Applicants with a Professional Degree) and the CIHR training award (Masters (CGS-M) or Doctoral (CGS-D) Canada Graduate Scholarship) in the same year. For example, for Surgeon Scientist Program support starting on July 1st 2018, the applicant is required to have already applied for the FRSQ award in October 2017 and the CIHR award in December 2017. These Applications are usually done at the beginning of the PGY2 year.
Successful application for FRQS and CIHR support allow us to support more residents.
NOTE: FRSQ deadline is generally October 17th and CIHR deadline is December 1st. These dates should be confirmed by the applicant.
The surgeon scientist application must include all the following documents:
1. Your full CIHR application including: summary page, study proposal and transcripts. A pdf file containing these documents can be obtained by clicking ‘Export application and attachments to PDF’ in the CIHR Research Portal website.
2. Your Canadian Common CV (CCV), Version Canada Graduate Scholarships-Master’s (or CIHR Academic for Doctoral award applicants). A pdf file containing your CCV can be obtained by clicking ‘Preview’ in your CCV webpage.
3. Your main supervisor’s CCV, Version CIHR Academic. A pdf file containing your supervisor’s CCV can be obtained by clicking ‘Preview’ in his/her CCV webpage. If applicable, your co-supervisor’s CCV (Version CIHR Academic) should also be submitted.
4. Proof that you submitted applications for both FRSQ and CIHR awards (PDF copies of confirmation emails are acceptable). Only residents who have applied for FRSQ and CIHR support will be considered for funding by the Surgical Scientist Program.
For more information:
FRQS: http://www.frqs.gouv.qc.ca/en/bourses-et-subventions/consulter-les-programmes-remplir-une-demande (see Masters or Doctoral training for applicants with a professional degree).
CIHR: https://www.researchnet-recherchenet.ca (see Masters Award or Doctoral Research Award).
5. Two reference letters: (1st) from your principal supervisor and (2nd) from another sponsor familiar with your academic and/or clinical work. Your referees may use the same letters submitted to CIHR. These letters should be submitted directly by the referees to Domenica Cuzco at mcgillsurgicalscientist [at] gmail.com by December 8th.
Please send all the documents (except the reference letters) as a single pdf file to Domenica Cunzo at mcgillsurgicalscientist [at] gmail.com by December 8th. Your pdf documents can be merged using https://www.pdfmerge.com or other free online applications.
AFTER YOUR APPLICATION: You should apply to the Clinician Investigator Program (CIP) of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons. This is done through Dr. Marc Blostein (CIP Director, McGill) via e-mail: roberta.tiscione [at] mcgill.ca or 514-340-8222 ext 4793. To apply for the CIP, you should submit a proof of application to the Surgeon Scientist Program (e.g. copy of your submission email). We require that you submit a proof of application to the CIP to Domenica Cunzo at mcgillsurgicalscientist [at] gmail.com by December 15.
A progress report from successful candidates will be required by December 1st of the following year. Your progress must be acceptable to the committee to allow continuation of funding.
Liane S. Feldman, M.D.
Director, Surgical Scientist Program
Julio F Fiore Junior, PhD
Co-Director, Surgical Scientist Program
Click here for Application for SSP Travel Funding