This program has been cancelled for this summer. Coming back in the Summer of 2019.
View the brochure (PDF)
About the Program
- Combines science and sensory experience of food, in order to understand its environmental impact
- Hands-on experience in a state-of-the-art food lab with workshops in food preparation and evaluation of results
- Learn from leading experts in the fields of agricultural and environmental sciences, with a focus on nutrition and health
- Have access to established professors: a Registered Dietitian with over 30 years of professional practice and an experienced educator with a PhD in Educational Psychology
- Visit a working farm on Macdonald Campus’s historic agricultural campus, an oasis on the vibrant Island of Montreal
- Local organic and conventional vegetable farms
- Quebec farmer’s markets
- Local tie-stall and free-stall dairy operations, including Macdonald Campus’ historic dairy barn
- In-depth tour of a typical North American grocery store
The Environmental Impact of Food
Learn about the environmental impacts of agriculture and how researchers approach and study these issues. Students will gain a better understanding of how agriculture affects the health of humans, soil, and the environment, and will be exposed to a variety of specialities, enabling them to better understand how they fit together with associated career opportunities.
The Melting Pot of Food and Nutrition
Learn about the structure and composition of foods and what causes the physical, chemical, and nutrient content changes during food preparation with the aid of displays, demonstrations, “hands-on” experience, and review of the experiences. Food tasting will be part of all sessions, as will discussion and debunking of common nutrition myths.
Students will receive an official McGill attestation upon completion of the program.
The program is open to high school students age 16 or older.
Course Fee: $4995 CAD ($3750 USD)*
Includes: housing, breakfast and lunch.
*CAD to USD exchange rate as of March 3, 2017.
For More Information
Email: summer.studies [at] mcgill.ca
Phone: +1 (514) 398-5212