History of the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences
Our Faculty's focus is on training oral physicians capable of providing comprehensive health care to their patients. We offer unparalleled opportunities for practical experience in a wide variety of hospital and clinical settings. Internationally renowned for our research bolstered by new, world-class facilities, our students are exposed to the latest developments in dental research.
Historically we have enjoyed a creative mix of students not only from Canada, but also from the United States and around the world. We have a strong history of student participation in Faculty affairs with the goal to create a collegial learning environment.
The history of dental education in Quebec goes back to 1892 when the Association of Dental Surgeons of the Province of Quebec founded, in Montreal, a dental school known as the Dental College of the Province of Quebec. Instruction in this College was in both English and French and the College was located on Phillips Square. This College became associated with Bishop's University in Lennoxville, Quebec, four years later as a department in the Faculty of Medicine of that University, but remained situated in Montreal. In this way, the clinical training was provided by the College and the academic training by the University. The first Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) degree in the province of Quebec was granted by Bishop's University.
The McGill Dental School was established in June 1904 as a department in the Faculty of Medicine and continued as such until 1920 when it became known as the Faculty of Dentistry.
To reflect the increase in curricular content of basic science and medical courses in recent years, the Faculty requested that the degree program be renamed. The change, to Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.), received University approval in the spring of 2000.
The Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences had always been closely associated with the Montreal General Hospital, where the clinical teaching in the Faculty was mainly carried out, along with rotations to other teaching hospitals. The preclinical teaching laboratory was housed in the Strathcona Anatomy and Dentistry Building on campus. During the summer of 2014, the Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences moved to a new location at the corner of McGill College Avenue and Sherbrooke Street, where it occupies three floors. With this move, the Faculty is ushering in a new era of dental education, clinical care, research, and service to the community. For the first time in the faculty’s history, clinical and community research; clinical and preclinical teaching; graduate and dental students; and administrative offices are together in a state-of-the-art facility which acts as the hub for the faculty’s community outreach activities. Our researchers and biomedical laboratories remain at the Strathcona and Anatomy Building on McGill Campus downtown.
Basic science subjects are taught in conjunction with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences during the first 18 months of the program.