Dean's Honour List
Graduation Honours: Dean's Honour List
If you are graduating with an undergraduate degree, you may be awarded the designation Dean's Honour List under the following conditions:
- you have completed a minimum of 60 McGill credits toward your degree; and
- you are in the top 10% of the faculty's graduating class of students; this calculation is based on the CGPA.
Graduation Honours: Distinction
Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List
Graduation Honours: Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List
The Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List recognizes Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) and Bachelor of Arts and Science (B.A. & Sc.) students who have participated in substantial and broad undergraduate science research. To be placed on the Faculty of Science Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List at graduation time:
- you must have completed at least 9 credits of research-based courses, taken for a letter grade;
- where qualifying courses are either specified in the list of approved science research courses (see www.mcgill.ca/science/research/ours/researchcourses);
- or are pre-approved by the Faculty of Science, for other undergraduate science research courses.
Furthermore, considering all qualifying science research-based courses on your transcript at graduation time:
- at least one course, worth at least 3 credits, must be from a different unit than the other research-based courses; and
- every qualifying course must have been completed with a grade of C or above; and
- the average GPA over all qualifying courses must be 3.0 or above.
If these requirements are met, the mention “Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List” will be recorded on your transcript at graduation time.
No application is necessary if you have taken courses from the approved list; all B.Sc. and B.A. & Sc. graduating students' records are considered by the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science.
In exceptional circumstances, if you have taken a science research course not already on the approved list, and wish for this course to be counted toward the Dean's Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Research List, you must apply. A qualifying course involves a science research project as its primary focus, culminating in a substantive written report. Ineligible courses include: reading courses; BASC 396 and BASC 449; and courses offered by the Faculty of Arts. For information on how to apply, please contact the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science at least four months prior to graduation (e.g., February 1, for June graduation; July 1, for November graduation; August 1, for February graduation).
Honours and First-Class Honours for Faculties of Arts and Science (including B.A. & Sc.)
Graduation Honours: Honours and First-Class Honours for Faculties of Arts and Science (including B.A. & Sc.)
As a graduating student registered in an Honours program, you may be recommended for Honours or First-Class Honours by your department(s) to the Faculty, under the following conditions only:
- you must complete all requirements imposed by the department;
- for Honours, the CGPA at graduation must be at least 3.00;
- for First-Class Honours, the CGPA at graduation must be 3.50 or better;
- students in a Joint Honours program must satisfy the above criteria for both Joint Honours components;
- some departments have additional requirements which must be met before you are recommended for Honours or First-Class Honours (see the departmental entries).
Students in an Honours program whose program GPA or CGPA is below 3.00, or who did not satisfy certain additional program requirements, must consult their adviser to determine if they are eligible to graduate in a program other than Honours.