Name: Legal Name

Note: This is the 20122013 edition of the eCalendar. Update the year in your browser's URL bar for the most recent version of this page, or click here to jump to the newest eCalendar.

Name: Legal Name

Revision, January 2013. Start of revision.

This is the name that will appear on your e-bills, tax receipts, degree, diploma, or certificate on graduation, and on your transcript. It is also used by the Government of Quebec to create a Permanent Code.

All students are registered under their legal name as it appears in one of the following documents:

  1. Canadian birth certificate
  2. Canadian Immigration Record of Landing (IMM 1000 or IMM 5292 or IMM 5688 and Permanent Residence card, both sides)
  3. Canadian Immigration Study or Work Permit document
  4. Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ)
  5. International passport (for Canadians, a Canadian citizenship card is required. Note that a Canadian passport is not acceptable.)
  6. Letter from international student's consulate or embassy in Canada
  7. Marriage certificate issued outside of Quebec (translated into English or French by a sworn officer if in another language). Note that Quebec marriage certificates are only acceptable if issued prior to 1984.
  8. Certificate of Name Change issued by the Quebec Directeur de l’état civil

In the case of a variation in the spelling of the name among these documents, the University will use the name on the document that appears first on the above list.

Revision, January 2013. End of revision.

Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2012-2013 (last updated Jan. 17, 2013) (disclaimer)
Programs, Courses and University Regulations—2012-2013 (last updated Jan. 17, 2013) (disclaimer)