In Winter 2019, the Student Services Assessment team organized the Mental Health Commission of Canada's (MHCC) Dialogue in a Box series for the McGill community to inform the upcoming Standard for Psychological Health and Safety for Post-Secondary Students - launching in 2020.
Through the combination of in-person tabling, social media, physical posters and postcards and emails/newsletter promotion, we were able to reach an estimated total of over 26,500 individuals.
This exercise helped us gather data on the following:
- What the community believes works
- Promising/best practices
- The barriers students currently face
- What post-secondary institutions can do to minimize barriers
3 Key Take-Aways:
- Expectation that the McGill community will be a caring one.
- Increased need for life skills development, awareness and prevention programming.
- Acknowledgement of peer supports as an emerging best practice.
Thank you to all the student, staff and parent participants. A Special thanks to Campus Life & Engagement, Student Wellness Hub, International Student Services, Office for Students with Disabilities, Alumni Relations and the Student Services Communications and Macdonald Campus teams.
We would not have been able to accomplish this without your help.