Switching programs?

"What-if" analysis

If you're thinking about changing your major, minor or degree program, use the Degree Evaluation Report to see how you can apply courses you've already taken to a new program. For example, if you're an English Major, the report will tell you what additional courses you'll need if you switch to an English Honours program. If you're a Chemical Engineering student, it can tell you which of your previous courses you can apply toward a Chemistry degree.

As well, if you're registered in a major that has had its requirements changed since you enrolled, this tool can help you determine if the revised curriculum seems like a better fit for you. If it does, get in touch with an academic advisor, who may give you permission to follow the new program.

Important: Your What-If Analysis may list options that your faculty doesn't allow. The tool may even allow you to choose program/major combinations that are not valid for registration. If you're considering changing programs, contact your academic advisor — only an advisor can tell you exactly what restrictions apply to your situation, and advisors are the best people to help you choose the courses and gameplan that are right for you.

How to generate a what-if analysis

  1. Select Catalog Term from the drop-down list and click Continue. In general, you should select the same Catalog Term as displayed on the DER for your current program.

    Note that new programs will have an initial Catalog Term equivalent to their term of implementation. For example, the Major Concentration in Philosophy and Western Religions was implemented September 2004. If a Catalog Term of Fall 2003 is selected, the Major Concentration in Philosophy and Western Religions will not appear on the First Major or Second Major drop-down menus.
  2. Select a program from the drop-down list and click Continue. In some cases “program” may have a meaning similar to “degree.” For example, the Faculty of Arts has only two possible program selections: B.Arts Honours and B.Arts. Other faculties may have more specific program selections listed. For example, Engineering program selections include BENG-CIVIL, BENG-MECH, etc.
  3. Select a "First Major" from the drop-down list. Be sure to select a major that is appropriate to the program selected. Common naming conventions include:
    • "Hon" for Honours
    • "HC" for Honours Component (used for Joint Honours)
    • "Con" for Major Concentration
    • "FP" for Faculty Program
    If you are satisfied with your selection and do not want to add any other concentrations, majors, minors, etc., click Submit and proceed to Step 6.

    If you want to add additional components, click Add More and proceed to Step 4.
  4. Select Concentration 1 or Concentration 2 from the drop-down menu, as applicable. Many majors do not have concentrations associated with them. If the drop-down list of concentrations contains less than 15 items, you should select a concentration. If the list has more than 15 items, leave your selection as NONE.

    If you are satisfied with your selection and do not want to add any other majors, minors, etc., click on Submit and proceed to Step 6). To add additional components, click on Add More and proceed to Step 5).
  5. To add more curriculum components — majors, minors, etc. — to the analysis, click the Add More button. Do this as many times as you need, and click Submit when you're done.
  6. Click Generate Request.
  7. Select the desired report and click Submit.
Back to top