Withdrawing from courses

After the Course Change deadline in the Fall and Winter terms, there is a period of a few days during which you may withdraw with a grade of "W" and a full refund of course fees. After the Withdrawal (with refund) deadline, there is a period during which withdrawal from a course will also result in a grade of "W" but no course fees will be refunded.

After the final withdrawal (without refund) deadline, students in exceptional circumstances may receive permission to withdraw from a course with no impact on their GPA. For more information, students in Arts and Science should refer to Service Point while students in other faculties should still refer to their faculty students affairs office.

Click here for the deadlines.

If you obtain permission to withdraw from courses after the withdrawal (without refund) deadline, you must submit a course withdrawal form, available from your faculty's student affairs office. Additional restrictions apply to Music students, who should contact an advisor for guidance. The date on which you withdrew is entered on Min­erva and is the official date of withdrawal, even if you had stopped attending lectures earlier.



What happens if I withdraw from a course? Will it affect my GPA?

Course withdrawals will result in a "W" grade on your record. This is common, and indicates that you withdrew from a course. It does not indicate that you were failing when you withdrew, and it will not affect your term or cumulative GPA.

Withdrawing from all of your courses in a given term constitutes withdrawing from McGill.

Non-attendance of classes does not constitute a withdrawal. It will result in a grade of "J," which indicates that you either missed an exam or failed to submit an assignment without authorization. This is a failing grade, and will negatively affect your GPA.

How do I withdraw from a course?

Until your course withdrawal (without refund) deadline, you may withdraw from your courses using Minerva.

To withdraw from required or complementary courses after the withdrawal (without refund) deadline, you must obtain permission from your faculty advisor.

Remember, non-attendance of classes does not constitute a withdrawal.

How do I obtain a refund when I withdraw from a course?

You are not automatically refunded your credit balance, and many students choose to keep their balance on account for use in a future term. You may, however, request that your credit balance be refunded after the course withdrawal (with refund) period has passed. See the Student Accounts website for instructions on requesting your refund.

Back to top