Placements are negotiated and organized by the MSW Field Placement Coordinator, not by the students themselves.
- Students are required to successfully complete 12 social work credits before starting their field placement.
- Student may do their field placement in an agency in which they are currently or have been employed. The student must submit a detailed proposal to the MSW Field Work Coordinator who must approve the placement. The student must be assigned to a different department, project, or service than their current employment, and be supervised by a different supervisor than their current employment supervisor.
- Students in the field placement option must successfully complete 450 hours of field practice.
- Placements are carried out in one field setting, even though it represents three courses.
- Students can do their field placement as a Concurrent or Block Placement.
- If enrolled in field placement concurrent with course work, students spend 2.5 days per week in the field (7 hours each day on Mondays & Wednesdays, & 3.5 hours on Fridays). Meetings and other agency obligations might require the student to work in an evening or an alternate time.
- Students cannot end the practicum early regardless of hours accrued.
MSW Field Placement Procedures
- Accepted students will receive a request to schedule an individual meeting with the MSW Field Work Coordinator to discuss their learning goals, professional goals and interests and possible field placement options. A telephone interview can be arranged for those students unable to be in Montreal. The students must complete and return the Field Placement Form and a current CV prior to their meeting with the MSW Field Work Coordinator.
- The identified Field Instructor/Supervisor must be contacted within two days and an interview set up as soon as possible. The student may lose the placement interview if the agency is not contacted and an interview set up in a timely manner. Contact the Field Work Coordinator ASAP if you are having a difficult time contacting the assigned instructor or agency coordinator.
- Students attend an interview with the Field Instructor/Supervisor.
- If both student and field instructor agree to the match, the Field Work Coordinator will confirm the placement with the student and supervisor.
MSW Field Placement Courses
MSW Program Block Placements
Block placements are only available to MSW students who have completed 4 social work courses (12 credits). For Spring/Summer block placements, the planning process begins in October, for Fall/Winter block placements the planning process begins in January. The student must submit their CV and Field Placement Planning Form to the Field Education Coordinator prior to meeting.
Students are in their field placement 4 days per week for approximately 16 weeks to complete the required 450 hours of practicum.
Many agencies do not offer Block placements.
French language facility is an important consideration for Block placement.
Coursework often focuses on concurrent Field Placement experiences.
Students have the option of completing a block placement at an approved social service agency outside of Quebec.