The McGill Library provides a range of specialized services to support teaching and research at the School. At the Education Curriculum Resources Centre, you'll find the Library & Information Studies Liaison Librarian (Maya Kucij) and SIS course reserves. At the Humanities & Social Sciences Library, you'll find the bulk of the Library & Information Studies collection (McLennan Bldg., 6th floor).
Visit the Library's Teaching Services pages for:
- Faculty guidebook
- Information on reserves
- Library Checklist for Instructors Preparing for the Academic Year
- Creating Links to Online Library Resources
- And more
Subject & course guides
The Library maintains several LIS-related subject guides. Have suggestions? Contact the Liaison Librarian.
The Library can assist with the creation of Course Guides on the Library website, e.g.
Dr. Virr's GLIS 644 - Descriptive Bibliography
The Library & Information Studies Liaison Librarian is a valuable resource for both instructors and students. Don't hesitate to get in touch with the Liaison Librarian to see what support they can offer to you and to your students. Among other services, the Liaision Librarian can:
- Provide customized information and research skills training for your students.
- Locate materials to support your teaching, and will assist you in creating links from your course reading lists into online holdings. These can easily be integrated into myCourses (WebCT Vista).
- Create subject and course guides covering most topics taught at McGill, highlighting key databases and other resources.
Specialized presentations & instruction
Librarians are available to provide specialized presentations for your class. Sample topics include:
- Copyright and open access
- Database management
- Digital repositories
- Information literacy/library instruction
- Music librarianship
- ...and more!
Customized library instruction/workshops are available for your classes on topics such as research strategies, database searching, advanced catalogue searching, MLA/APA-style citation, etc. Contact the Liaison Librarian to learn more.
See the Library's Research & Grants page for information about research-related services and support.