Updated July 19, 2021
The following FAQs provide additional information regarding student housing and updates will be added as new developments become available. Please make sure to check back regularly.
Applying to Residence
Can I still I apply to live in residence for the academic year 2021-2022 even though I missed the deadline?
Please contact the housing office at housing.residences [at] mcgill.ca
If you wish to live in residences starting in the Fall semester 2021, the accommodation is assigned based on the understanding that students are making a commitment for the full academic year.
McGill Student Housing offers secured housing to all first-year undergraduate students, 22 years of age and under, who have accepted McGill's offer of admission.
I studied remotely last year as I was unable to come to Montreal due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Can I still apply to live in residences this year? Will I be guaranteed a space?
We may be able to provide residence accommodation in this situation. Please contact the housing office at housing.residences [at] mcgill.ca
Our regular cancellation penalties are in effect for this academic year.
If I change my mind about living in residences can I cancel my application without any penalties? OR What is the deadline to cancel my residence application without any penalties?
Our cancellation policy is outlined on our website.
The COVID-19 pandemic is still uncertain and unpredictable. If I am unable to start the Fall semester on time due to COVID-19 related issues will my housing fees be adjusted accordingly?
If the COVID-19 pandemic prevents you from arriving to Montreal at the start of the Fall semester, please contact housing.residences [at] mcgill.ca by August 1, 2021 and we will review requests on a case by case.
Quarantine / Vaccination
Unless the Quebec government mandates vaccination, we cannot, at this time, legally require proof of vaccination from incoming residence students. Vaccination status is a private medical matter, and individuals are under no obligation to disclose.
McGill cannot ensure the vaccination status of any residence student. Vaccination status is a private medical matter, and individuals are under no obligation to disclose. We strongly encourage students to get vaccinated before coming to campus but we cannot ensure that roommates are vaccinated.
I am not fully vaccination, will I be required to quarantine before moving into residences for Fall 2021?
Currently, under federal government regulations, unvaccinated or partially vaccinated travelers entering the country must quarantine and provide a quarantine plan at the airport. This requirement may change but we advise international students to plan to arrive in Canada at least 14 days before classes start.
- Any student able to arrive on campus between August 1 and 6 , 2021 will be able to reserve a quarantine room at New Residence Hall at the cost of $50 per night. Meals are charged separately.
- Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis and full payment is required when booking the reservation. Registration will open mid-July and we will communicate the date to students by email.
- Payment is non-refundable however in the event of a change in governmental regulations whereby quarantine is no longer required on the booked date of arrival, a full refund will be issued.
- Unfortunately, we cannot offer residence quarantine after August 6, as we need the 14-day quarantine period to be completed and the rooms disinfected and prepared before other students move in. The move-in period for students living in downtown residences is August 20 to 29, and for students living in Macdonald campus residences is August 23 to 28.
- If you submitted a complete study permit application by May 15, the Government of Canada has guaranteed a response only by August 6, though you may receive it earlier.
- This means that some international undergraduate students may not be able to quarantine in McGill student housing. If you are in this situation, contact the following hotel partners to make the necessary quarantine arrangements.
|Cantlie Hotel & Suites||
$85 per night
McGill room reservation link
|Delta hotel||$85 per night (room only)
McGill room reservation link
|OMNI Hotel||$89 per night (room only)
McGill room reservation link
|West Island Hotel||Rate/reservation|
|Marriott Courtyard Baie D’Urfe||
$99 per night (room only)
Reservations:514-674-8000 and ask for the McGill Self Isolation Rate
|Holiday Inn and suites Vaudreuil||$114 per night (incl breakfast)
Hotel located near Macdonald campus in Vaudreuil
Reservations : info [at] hiexvaudreuil.ca
The Government of Canada announced that effective July 5, 2021, fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada who meet certain conditions are exempt from the 14-day quarantine period. International students are eligible for this exemption.
- Please consult the Government of Canada site to determine the exact conditions and the process you must undergo to be eligible for the exemption. For example, only certain vaccines are eligible and you must be fully vaccinated at least 14 days before arrival.
- The Government still requires fully vaccinated travelers to make arrangements for a potential 14-day quarantine, in case, for example, you have COVID symptoms or the Government determines that you do not meet the requirements.
- Therefore, you should prepare to arrive in Canada a minimum of two weeks before the start of the semester and should have arranged a place where you can quarantine, even if you are fully vaccinated.
The residence move-in period is scheduled August 20 to 29, 2021 for downtown students and August 23 to 28 for Macdonald students.
If you do not need to quarantine and wish to move in before August 20, please contact the front desk of your assigned residence.
|New Residence Hall||$50 -Early arrivals as of August 18||frontdesknrh.residences [at] mcgill.ca
|Carrefour Sherbrooke||$50 - Early arrivals as of August 9||frontdeskcs.residences [at] mcgill.ca
|La Citadelle||$50 - Early arrivals as of August 9||frontdesklc.residences [at] mcgill.ca
|Upper Residences||$40 - Early arrivals as of August 9||frontdeskbmh.residences [at] mcgill.ca
|Royal Victoria College||$40 - Early arrivals as of August 9||frontdeskrvc.residences [at] mcgill.ca
|MORE and University Hall||$40 - Early arrivals as of August 18||housingofficer [at] mcgill.ca
|Solin Hall||$40 - Early arrivals as of August 18||howard.zinman [at] mcgill.ca
All renewable and one-year McGill Entrance Scholarship awardees entering McGill in September will be guaranteed one of their top two choices of residence buildings available, provided they apply by the residence application deadline.
Carrefour Sherbrooke, La Citadelle and New Residence Hall will be fully open. Please note the majority of rooms in these hotel-style residences are double rooms. Royal Victoria College, Upper Residences, Douglas Hall and Solin Hall will have reduced occupancy.
What measures will McGill be taking in the Fall 2021 semester to ensure the safety of students who are returning to campus and living in residences?
The health and wellbeing of the community will remain our top priority and all necessary health and safety measures as recommended by government and public health authorities will continue to be implemented in the residences to ensure residences remain safe spaces in the coming year.
Our residential dining halls (except for Douglas Hall) will be open and we are planning to have as many on-campus retail food locations open as per public health regulations and the evolving Covid-19 response. Please check back later this summer for more updates.