McGill Alert / Alerte de McGill

Updated: Thu, 07/18/2024 - 18:12

Gradual reopening continues on downtown campus. See Campus Public Safety website for details.

La réouverture graduelle du campus du centre-ville se poursuit. Complément d'information : Direction de la protection et de la prévention.

Exchange, special or visiting students

Inform yourself

Read all of the info below about exchange, special or visiting students. You should also check out the Science Handbook and read sections 9) Choosing courses and 10) Course registration.

Select courses and register until the last day of the add/drop period

Select your courses for Fall and/or Winter term using the eCalendar and the class schedule on Minerva. Don't forget to select the Fall and/or Winter term on Minerva. Head to the important dates website for our add/drop dates. If you have questions about your course selection, consult an advisor in the department that administers the courses. Always include your name and student number in the email subject line when you contact McGill staff.

Faculty and program advising

mary.gauthier [at] (Mary Gauthier), your Faculty advisor from the Science Office for Undergraduate Student Advising Office (SOUSA), will be available to answer any academic questions throughout your time at McGill.  She will send you emails at intervals during the academic year. Make sure you read them carefully as they will contain important information. For more serious issues you can arrange an individual appointment with her.

If you are undecided about whether to drop or withdraw from a course, you can talk to mary.gauthier [at] (Mary Gauthier), your faculty advisor. You should assess your progress to date in the course, and try to reach a realistic evaluation of your ability to complete each course successfully.  

Advising appointments

To determine which courses will be appropriate for you, a departmental advisor needs information about the courses you've taken at your home university. Please bring the following information to your advising appointment:

  • a copy of your academic record (courses and grades) from your home university;
  • course descriptions for the courses you have taken at your home university;
  • information about the number of credits or courses required to complete your degree;
  • a list of suggested McGill courses that you think might be appropriate for you to take.

The departmental advisor will review the courses you have already completed to ensure that you have the appropriate background for the McGill courses you intend to take.

Selecting courses as an exchange, special or visiting student

Each course has a credit weight associated with it. The normal load for a full-time student in Science is 5 courses or 15 credits per term. 

Course selection should be done with a departmental academic advisor. The courses you take should also be chosen with your situation in mind. 

Departmental restrictions (Anatomy & Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology)

Students must contact mary.gauthier [at] (Mary Gauthier) for information on registering for courses with a departmental restriction. Departments reserve the right to limit access to courses for which students do not hold equivalent prerequisite courses.

What to do if you experience difficulties

Occasionally students experience serious problems which affect their ability to complete coursework on time. If there are medical problems, or other personal problems which prevent you from giving sufficient time to your courses or exams, there may be arrangements which we can make.

If the situation interferes with the submission of term papers, writing of midterm tests, or other class work, consult with the course instructor. It may be possible to arrange for make-up tests or extensions of deadlines. The instructor will require supporting documentation in the form of a doctor's letter, or other relevant documents.

On the other hand, if you are unable to write formal final exams, or feel that withdrawal from courses or the University after the normal deadline may be necessary because of illness or family affliction, you should consult with your advisor in the SOUSA Office. If special arrangements are to be made, supporting documentation will be required.

Back to top