600-level courses

Enrolment of undergraduate students in 600-level courses


An undergraduate student will be permitted to take 600-level courses subject to the following conditions:

  • The student has a minimum CGPA of 3.3.
  • The student is in U3 or higher.
  • The professor of the course and the program adviser or the director of the undergraduate program provide written approval supporting the request.
  • A maximum of six credits of 600-level courses are allowed towards the degree.
  • The actual course number appears on the transcript.
  • The course evaluation methods and grading standards are the same for all students, whether graduate or undergraduate.
  • The regulations and practices of the Faculty Science are also applied to such a course.

Procedures to be followed by the student:

  • Complete the standard form, preferably well in advance of the start of classes. (You can pick up a form at the Science Office for Undergraduate Student Advising (SOUSA) Office, Dawson Hall, Information Counter, Room 405).
  • Obtain necessary signature/approval from the professor of the course and from the adviser or the director of the undergraduate program.
  • Submit the completed form to the Faculty of Science (Dawson Hall, Room 405) before the end of the course Drop/Add period. DO NOT LEAVE REQUESTS TO THE LAST DAY.
  • If the conditions and procedures are met and the request is approved, students will be emailed and informed that a permit-override has been issued. It is the student's responsibility to register for the course on MINERVA before the end of the course Drop/Add period.

It is the responsibility of the student to start the procedures well in advance of the term and to undertake the various steps along the way to final approval so that they can be completed before the end of the Drop/Add period.

Exceptional cases (CGPA below 3.3, late requests, *Visiting/Exchange Students):

Students in this category must also submit a letter detailing the reasons why approval should be granted even though the conditions have not been met. Such requests may be refused. The procedures for such requests are the same as those stated above.

*Visiting and Exchange students must attach a student copy of their transcript from their home university.