Failing a course

If you fail a course, you may wish to consult an adviser in the Student Affairs Office in Dawson Hall to discuss your options. Depending on the type of course (required or elective course), the grade ("D", a conditional pass, or "F"), your performance in your other courses, and the circumstances for the failure, there are three alternatives:

  1. repeat the course;
  2. substitute another course for the one you took;
  3. apply to write a supplemental examination.

If you fail a required course, you should consult an adviser about modifying your course choice. You should expect that taking Calculus II when you have failed Calculus I, for example, will only result in another failure.

Regardless of whether a course is a required, complementary or an elective course, a grade of "D" is a conditional pass and will only earn you credit as an elective course. Program requirements or prerequisite courses including basic science courses in the science freshman program, or the core courses in the arts freshman program, must be passed with a "C" or better. Before proceeding to the next level, you must repeat required or prerequisite courses in which you received a grade of less than "C", or you may choose to take a supplemental examination. You can generally replace complementary courses with other optional courses. If you fail an elective course, you replace it with a different elective course

If you repeat a course for which you have already earned a grade of "D", you will receive credits for the course only once.

You should apply for a supplemental examination only under the following conditions: your GPA is 2.50 or better; you have reduced your course load for the winter-term, or do not have a heavy summer schedule; you know the material well and will have little trouble studying for the supplemental on your own.