From Monday, February 15, 2021, McGill Science students will be able to take advantage of the Science Flex Space, an on-campus study space where eating and drinking is also permitted. The Science Flex Space is available only to students registered with the Faculty of Science for the Winter 2021 semester. Booking in advance is mandatory – no drop-ins.
Campus1 MTL, Room 101
420 Sherbrooke Street West
Booking in advance is mandatory – no drop-ins.
Starting Monday, February 15, 2021, the Science Flex Space will be open Monday to Friday. The following time slots are available for booking:
8:30am – 10:30am
12:00pm – 2:00pm
3:30pm – 5:30pm
- Booking in advance is mandatory – no drop-ins.
- Bookings must be made no later than 6:00pm on the day prior to the desired time slot.
- Bookings are not transferable.
- Students may arrive at any time during the time slot they have booked.
- If you are unable to make your booking, please cancel it. To cancel your booking, click the cancellation link at the bottom of your confirmation email.
Using the space
- To gain access to the Science Flex Space, you must bring your McGill ID and an electronic or paper copy of your booking confirmation. If you don't have a McGill ID card, please follow these steps to get one.
- The 8:30am–10:30am and 12:00pm–2:00pm time slots are available for quiet, individual study only.
- Cell phone conversations and video conferencing are not permitted.
- Procedural masks must be worn at all times except when eating or drinking.
- At the end of each time slot, all students must vacate the space. Between time slots, a cleaning crew will be at work in the space.
The Science Flex Space has been configured with individual work stations to ensure appropriate physical distancing. All of McGill’s safety protocols are in operation, including enhanced cleaning, mandatory use of procedural masks, and clear signage.
There is no assigned seating. Once you occupy a work station, please remain at that station for the duration of your time in the Science Flex Space.
Food and drink are permitted in the Science Flex Space, but there are no microwaves on site.
There is a very limited number of power outlets in the Science Flex Space, with only very few work stations having access to an outlet. We recommend that students using the space leave home or campus with a fully-charged device. There is no access to charging stations for cellphones or laptops, and there are no chargers available for loan.
The space will be professionally cleaned and disinfected between time slots. Cleaning materials will also be available on site, should students wish to wipe down a work station prior to use. A full cleaning and disinfection will be carried out at the end of each day.
What to do before coming to the Science Flex Space
Read the information and complete all of the actions required of you on the following webpages. Remember that if you answer “yes” to any of the COVID-19 screening questions on these pages, you must stay home:
What to do when you arrive at the Science Flex Space
Do not enter the Science Flex Space if you:
- are experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 (cough, fever, difficulty breathing, sudden loss of smell)
- have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 during the last 14 days
- have been traveling outside of Canada in the last 14 days
Make sure you are wearing a procedural mask – as per the directives from the Quebec Ministry of Health and McGill's safety protocols, all individuals on our campuses are required to wear a procedural mask at all times when in any indoor shared space.
Use your McGill ID as a swipe card to gain access via the double-doors to the right of the main entrance to the residence.
Once inside, take the escalator to the first floor and follow the signs to Room 101.
A service agent will ask for your booking confirmation and ensure you have met the government guidelines for access to the campus.
You may then choose any available work station within the space.
Please follow all directional and physical distancing signage.
Please do not move the furniture, it has been organized to respect physical distancing.
You may arrive at any time during your booking. Please ensure you leave on time so we have ample time to clean the space for the next student. You may leave before your booking is over. Please exit without lingering or talking with other students. This helps ensure quiet study and distance protocols are maintained.
Should you experience any health issues while on site, please advise the service agent immediately, they will direct you to the isolation room. Security will be contacted immediately to help ensure that all safety protocols are followed.