For professors

What are '396' courses? What are the prerequisites? Which departments and programs offer them?

They are 3-credit, elective, undergraduate research project courses. They can be taken by students from other departments (e.g., a student majoring in Biology can take CHEM 396 with a Chemistry professor). They are not restricted to final-year students. For more details, please see the '396' introduction page.


The research project proposal webform allows you (a McGill instructor) to offer a '396' undergraduate research project.

You may use this form to propose an "open" opportunity with a defined project, for students to apply to; or you may complete this form after having identified both the student and the project.

If you have any questions about this form, please contact Victor Chisholm in the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science. See the bottom of this page for contact details.

Why fill out the '396' research project proposal form? If I have already chosen the student, should I still submit the form?

Please submit the form, whether you have already identified the student for this project or you are recruiting for one.

The signed research project proposal form will allow the student to seek departmental permission to register for the course.

The research project proposal form establishes what the student will work on, the grading scheme, and the project end date.

Submitting the electronic form contributes to the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science's website's listing of past, present, and upcoming 396 research projects. Current students, potential applicants to McGill, and the public will see summaries of undergraduate student research in Science at McGill.

What is next? How will students apply? What do I need to do?

See our "How does it all work?" page and then fill out the form.

Is funding available?

Up to and including Fall 2010-2011, the Dean of Science provided funding to defray the cost of extra resources such as laboratory supplies or specialized software.

Effective 2010-2011, this funding is no longer available.


Please refer to the FAQs or contact the Office for Undergraduate Research in Science.