Here is the current list of "396" projects for the Fall 2010-2011 semester. (Other projects may be added.) They are arranged by department, school, or program:
- Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Computer Science
- Earth and Planetary Sciences
- Microbiology and Immunology
- Redpath Museum
If you are looking for the BASC 396 undergraduate research project courses, please start here instead. (BASC 396 is an independent research project course which integrates both an Arts discipline and a Science discipline, open to students in any B.A. & Sc. program.)
Students interested in a potential project (that has already been submitted by a professors and already posted here) should communicate with the instructor proposing the project. Instructions on how to apply are indicated on each project description.
To post, create, or register for a new project (i.e., one that is not yet posted here), please use this online form. Students may ask their proposed supervisors to fill out the form for a project they have already agreed upon, or professors may fill out "empty" projects where they are looking for students.
- Introduction to '396' courses - general information including prerequisites and eligibility
- Information for professors
- How '396' courses work
Anatomy and Cell Biology, ANAT 396
- "Prolactin's tumor suppressive function in Breast Cancer"
Supervisor: Prof. S. Ali.
- "Prolactin Hormone & Epithelial Polarity."
Supervisor: Prof. S. Ali.
- "Oral Health with regard to mental disability."
Supervisor: Prof. C. Bedos.
- "Maspin and uveal melanoma."
Supervisor: Prof. M. Burnier
- "Preoperative serum AFP as a predictor of HCC aggressiveness."
Supervisor: Prof. P. Chaudhury.
- "Role of Translocator Protein (18 kDa) in testicular germ cells."
Supervisor: Prof. M. Culty.
- "Role of the urotensin II system in the cardiovascular abnormalities of the metabolic syndrome"
Supervisor: Prof. A. Giaid.
- "Molecular Basis of renal hypoplasia"
Supervisor: Prof. P. Goodyer.
- "Regulation of osteoclast formation by erythropoetin"
Prof. S. Komarova
- "Structure-Function Analysis of Rab35."
Supervisor: Prof. P.S. McPherson.
- "Effect of ginseng on non-adaptive immunity in aged mice."
Supervisor: Prof. S. Miller.
- "Mutational Analysis of pp32."
Supervisor: Prof. T. Nilsson.
- "Mechanisms of Action of Insulin and Growth Factors."
Supervisor: Prof. B. Posner.
- "Evolution of fibrillin genes."
Supervisor: Prof. Prof. D. Reinhardt
- "Chemical neuroanatomy of the rat mediobasal hypothalamus."
Supervisor: Prof. T. Stroh.
- "Global Methylation Analysis."
Supervisor: Prof. M. Szyf.
Biochemistry, BIOC 396
- "Structural basis of small RNA recognition by Argonaute proteins "
Supervisor: Prof. B. Nagar
- "NRPS C-domain analysis"
Supervisor: Prof. M. Schmeing
- "The APC/C and viral infection"
Supervisor: Prof. J. Teodoro.
Biology, BIOL 396
- "Study & illustration of fossil vertebrates"
Supervisor: Prof. R. L. Carroll.
- "Effect of Wnt activity on subcellular localization of Axin, Dvl and APC"
Supervisor: Prof. F. Fagotto.
- "Isolation and purification of antimicrobial compounds from Rhizobacteria"
Supervisor: Prof. D. Smith.
Chemistry, CHEM 396
- "Photocatalytic reaction of reactive intermediate"
Supervisor: Prof. P. Ariya.
- "Study of Compliant Coatings for Drag Reduction"
Supervisor: Prof. C. Barrett.
- "New Furan URO-D Inhibitors"
Supervisor: Prof. S. Bohle.
Computer Science, COMP 396
- "Improving Disease Outbreak Detection with Machine Learning"
Supervisor: Prof. D. Precup.
- "Narrative Generation and Analysis"
Supervisor: Prof. C. Verbrugge.
Earth and Planetary Sciences, EPSC 396
- "High-precision Quantification of Sulfate-reducing Bacteria for Selection Experiments"
Supervisor: Prof. B. Wing.
Geography, GEOG 396
- "Environmental Management and the Digital Divide"
Supervisor: Prof. G. Chmura.
Microbiology and Immunology, MIMM 396 & MIMM 397
- "Impact of endocrine disruptor compounds on cardiomyocyte differentiation from embryonic stem cells."
Supervisor: Dr. L. Chalifour.
- "Characterization of virulence factor function in enteropathogenic E. coli."
Supervisor: Prof. S. Gruenheid.
- "Genetic variation amongst major Mycobacterium tuberculosis lineages"
Supervisor: Prof. M. Reed.
- "Characterization of uge and ugm genes of A. fumigatus."
Supervisor: Prof. D. Sheppard.
Neuroscience, NSCI 396
- "Examining the role of new genetic mutants in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis."
Supervisor: Prof. H. Durham.
- "Examining Mitochondrial Function in a Primary Culture Model of Hereditary Spastic Paraplegia"
Supervisor: Prof. H. Durham.
- "Synapses on thin-shaped dendritic spines are the first to be lost after deafferentation in area CA1 of the mature hippocampus "
Supervisor: Prof. A. McKinney
Physiology, PHGY 396
- "Wnt-signaling in the mammalian oocyte"
Supervisor: Prof. R. Farookhi.
- "Unveiling More on Motion Perception Using Visual Rivalry"
Supervisor: Prof. J. C. Martinez-Trujillo.
- "Single cell mechanics."
Supervisor: Prof. D.E. Rassier.
- "Study & Nuclear import of heat shock proteins"
Supervisor: Prof. U. Stochaj.
- "Regulation of surviving repression by vitamin D"
Supervisor: Prof. J. White.
Physics, PHYS 396
- "Phase space analysis of the dynamics of inflationary models."
Supervisor: Prof. R. Brandenberger
- "Research in General Relativity."
Supervisor: Prof. A. Maloney
- "Motion Correction for Positron Emission Tomography"
Supervisor: Prof. A. Reader.
Psychology, PSYC 396
- "Drug dependence and reconsolidation."
Supervisor: Prof. K. Franklin
- "Psychophysical investigations into the effects of texture-surround inhibition on contour shape processing."
Supervisor: Prof. F. Kingdom
- "A meta-analysis of music cognition research."
Supervisor: Prof. D. Levitin
Redpath Museum, REDM 396
- "Fibronectin and Sox9 immunohistochemical visualization of early skeletal patterning in chick."
Supervisor: Prof. H. Larsson