The Faculty of Science offers a vast array of study and research opportunities at the undergraduate level, and it's very important that you familiarize yourself with all the alternatives open to you before deciding on an area of study. Even if you have a specific career path in mind, you have far more options than you think!
A McGill Science degree prepares you for advanced studies all over the world, or for direct entry into an exciting career. After graduation, your options include:
- Exciting careers in all sectors of the economy, in the public or private sectors or even as an entrepreneur.
- Graduate school, in a connected or complementary field;
- Medical school or other professional school, e.g. Dentistry, Law, MBA
What areas of study are offered in the Faculty of Science?
Please see our Programs webpage for all the programs that are available to B.Sc. students and B.A. & Sc. students.
What's the best area of study for me?
That depends highly on your interests and aptitudes, but here are a few general guidelines to consider:
- Focus on areas of study that motivate you. It's been proven repeatedly that students perform best when they are interested, engaged and even passionate about what they are studying.
- Disregard urban myths about subjects you'll "absolutely need later" for medical school. The world is more flexible than you think, and you can study medicine with a science degree in Psychology, Environment, Computer Science or Mathematics, to name just a few.
- If you have more than a single educational interest, compare and contrast the available areas of study. Factors you should consider are which area offers the best student-to-teacher ratio, the widest variety of available courses and the smallest class sizes at the higher levels.