Are you an undergraduate student interested in biomedical research? The MBRA award is designed for students in the penultimate year of their undergraduate degree interested in biomedical research. The award provides students with a competitive scholarship and research internship in the School of Biomedical Sciences (SBMS).
Multidisciplinary and innovative research projects include research in:
- Chemical and Structural Biology
- Quantitative Life Sciences
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Cancer biology
- Infectious Diseases
- Genomic Medicine
- Targeted Therapies and Diagnostics
- Bioengineering and technology
Click here to see a complete list of projects available for summer 2022: MBRA 2022 Project List
- Paid summer research internship in a laboratory affiliated to the SBMS
- Orientation and training sessions
- Weekly scientific and career development sessions
- Summer Research Symposium
Information Session: November 17th, 2021
Application Deadline: January 3rd, 9AM (Montreal time) (please note this date has been extended from Dec. 20th)
16-week paid internship from May to mid-August organized in one (16-week) or two (8-week) placements.
Value of the award: $ 8,000 ($6,000 provided by MBRA and $2,000 provided by supervisor)
Preparing your application
To be considered complete, your application package, in English or in French, must contain the following documents:
- Application form (complete using link)
- A letter of intent (max 2 pages, single spacing, font Times New Roman 12 pt) describing:
- Your academic background and previous research experience
- Your interest in biomedical research and in pursuing graduate studies,
- Your academic and career goals
- How this summer internship will benefit you on a personal, academic and professional level
- All of your university transcripts showing your cumulative average (digitalized and/or unofficial copies accepted)
- Your résumé (CV)
Please email the letter of intent, transcript(s) and résumé to: sbms.medicine [at] mcgill.ca
- Optional document: a letter of recommendation from a professor who can attest to the quality of your academic achievement including, if applicable, any research experience you may have. This letter must be forwarded to us confidentially, by email, (sbms.medicine [at] mcgill.ca), and directly by its author.
Evaluation of applications
The application packages will be evaluated by a selection committee made up of members of the School of Biomedical Sciences.
The evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Interest in biomedical research
- Desire to pursue graduate studies in a field related to biomedical research
- Quality of the letter of intent
- Quality of the academic record
Application packages accepted by the selection committee are sent to professors who select the candidates retained for an interview (in person, by telephone or by videoconference). The results will be announced in February of 2022. All applicants, selected or not, will be notified by email.
Transportation and accommodation
MBRA Program does not cover travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the awardees. However, some travel and lodging bursaries are available for students in need. McGill offers housing on campus at affordable prices.