For Students

Student-centred & research-intensive

Students are eligible to apply to hold independent research grants, fellowships and various other support for their work. The majority of these are managed by the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (GPSO), or faculty student affairs offices.

Students should contact GPSO directly about grant and fellowship preparation, development and signatures, as the Office of Sponsored Research is limited to supporting and administering faculty grants.


  • Grants whose primary intention is to support students, but for which their faculty supervisor or mentor must be the applicant.
  • Research grants for which the general eligibility primarily includes faculty-level researchers, but which occasionally allow postdoctoral students to apply.

In these two cases, students can contact the Office of Sponsored Research directly.

Undergraduate Research Trainees

Undergraduate students from other Canadian universities, international visiting undergraduate students, and exceptionally, local CEGEP or high-school students, wishing to conduct research at McGill University in a given term, are recorded as undergraduate research trainees.

For more information, please visit the Student Records website.

Resources for students