All Animal Use Protocol applications in Microsoft Word forms have been discontinued. Animal Use Protocol applications and amendments are now in a fully Web based electronic software called Darwin. Please consult the Darwin software section for more information, requests for access, instruction manuals and navigational videos. 


Optional table for animal number justification to use in Darwin


In some cases, the use of a table is useful to explain the number and type of animals requested. It is optional (unless the committee requires it). You may download, complete and attached to the full protocol in the section "19 - Justification For Number Requested" using the attachment feature on the bottom of that page in Darwin. If you are submitting a short Annual Review, you can email the table to the committee coordinator.

This form is loosely based on the old paper form:


Peer Review process


In June 2008, for all Faculties and most Research Institutes, the peer review process changed. Applicable to all Facility Animal Care Committees (FACCs), the Animal Care Committees do not administer this process anymore. For projects funded by non-peer-reviewed sources, a researcher must request independent peer review from the Associate Dean of his/her Faculty or from the Director or Associate Director of the Research Institute of his/her Affiliated Hospital. Go to the Peer Review section for contact information of McGill Faculty Associate Dean's Offices.

Aquatic animals and CFIA importation permits


If you plan to import aquatic animals (such as Zebrafish), you must verify if the animal you want is listed as a susceptible species, which would require applying for an Aquatic Animal Health Import Permit from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA). The list of susceptible species is posted on their website.

The application for importation is submitted to the CFIA via permission [at] using their form.

For more information, visit the CFIA website.


Controlled Substances


Requests for an exemption on the use of a controlled drugs to use in research is by applying to Health Canada using their application forms. For more information, visit their website.

Also see our institutional SOP #401 on Controlled drugs.Dispensing form for narcotics and controlled drugs (drug log) is at the end of the SOP #401.


Checklist for committee members when visiting laboratories and animal facilities (optional)

Forms from other sources


Forms for animal importation, services, workshop registrationand other animal management related matters fromthe Comparative Medicine Animal Resources Centre (CMARC) are found on their website.


Occupational Health and Program for animal related activities form (McGILL):

The Occupational Health Program for Animal Related Activities for McGill staff and student is now administered by the Environmental Safety Office. Please consult their website for details and application.

For faculty and technicians in Affiliated Hospital's Research Institutes, please consult your local Health Office.


Biohazard and Radioisotope forms:

These forms are obtained from the McGill Environmental Safety Office's website for McGill Faculties.


Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)

Contact a paralegal in the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) at (514) 398-7187. This person is in charge of: Legal/corporate research, Analyzing and researching legal issues, Material transfer agreements, Confidentiality agreements and License compliance.


The 3 Rs, Replacement, Reduction and Refinement


Before you start your project, you must look at 3 important things regarding the need to involve animals in your project. Please take the time to explore the CCAC Three Rs Microsite to assist you in replacing the use of animals with alternatives, reducing the number of animals to be involved and to refine procedures, conditions and experimental design in regards to animal welfare.

See general examples of Replacement.

See general examples of Reduction.

See general examples of Refinement.


Guideline on explaining animal numbers in section “19 – Justification for Animal Numbers” and example


Investigators should clearly justify the number of animals per strain needed for the experiments described in this protocol for the coming year.


Based on these experimental numbers, the investigator is to list separately the number of animals generated by breeding to obtain the experimental numbers. They should take into consideration the standard number for animals generated through breeding for the specific strain: for example, a single breeding couple of mice can generate on average 72 pups per year (1 female x 12 litters x 6 pups/litter).


The investigator is responsible for estimating how many breeding couples will be necessary to obtain the experimental animals carrying the right genotype, while taking into account the complexity of the breeding scheme necessary to achieve the genotype needed.




Analysis of 10 different axonal projections in 6 wild type and 6 mutant mice to perform statistical analysis on results (10 projections x 2 strains x 6 mice =120 mice needed for analysis).



Wild type mice: One breeding pair will be maintained for this strain. Each breeding couple will generate 72 pups per year. (1 breeding pair x 72 pups + 2 breeding mice = 74 mice)


Mutant mice: Two breeding pairs will be maintained for this line. Only 1 in 4 pups will have the desired genotype. They are poor breeders; each breeding couple will generate 40 pups only per year. (2 breeding pairs x 40 pups x 4 of different genotypes + 4 breeding mice = 324 mice)


Total number of mice requested is 398.


Confidentiality and Adoption Agreement Forms


If you need a confidentiality agreement form for employees or students of McGill University or an Affiliated Hospital Research Institute, please use: Confidentiality Agreement Form


Sometimes, animals are available for adoption into a good family. The following form is used in such a case:   Microsoft Office document iconMcGill Animal Adoption Form

Back to top