Who we are
Developed collaboratively by the Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and Research Financial Management Services (RFMS), under the leadership of the Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations) and the Vice-Principal (Administration and Finance), the goals of this initiative are to:
- Provide tools and resources to foster the professional development of McGill staff by improving their understanding of the policies and processes involved in day-to-day research administration activities;
- Illustrate and advocate for best practices that minimize or prevent McGill and its research community from future compliance and audit issues;
- Develop a community of practice, harnessing the knowledge and expertise that exist across the McGill community with respect to research administration;
- Distinguish McGill as a leader in not only research excellence but also in adherence to the highest standards of research administration and compliance.
We invite all McGill staff who support faculty with their research activities to join RAN and stay informed about policies and procedures affecting research administration.
Subscribe to our listserv by emailing researchadministrator [dot] osr [at] mcgill [dot] ca.
What you will find on this site
You will find many other resources related to research administration at McGill University, including:
- Research Administration Roles and Responsibilities – Summary of the Roles and Responsibilities document which defines the roles and responsibilities of all McGill employees involved in the management grant funds. You will also find descriptions of the roles and responsibilities of the Office of Sponsored Research and Research Financial Management Services.
- Research Policies and Regulations – Links to key research policies and regulations governing the conduct of research at McGill University.
- Tri-Agency Administration Guide - Additional guidance on the financial management of Tri-Agency grants.
- RAN Meetings - Upcoming RAN sessions and access to previous RAN presentations and videos (login required).
- Research Administration Toolbox – Tools and tutorials developed to assist McGill staff in their roles and responsibilities in research administration.
- Research Administration Announcements - Links to key messages sent to the McGill research community.
- Financial Services Teams (FST) - Mission of the FSTs and resources for FSTs.
- FST Meetings - Upcoming FST round table meetings and access to previous FST presentations and handouts (login required).
- FAQs – Answers to commonly asked questions.
- Resource Quick Links – Collection of links to web-based resources related to research administration, arranged by Office of Sponsored Research, Financial Services, Human Resources, Government of Canada, as well as other resources.