Dr. Rose Goldstein, Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations), is pleased to announce that three leading McGill researchers have joined the Research and International Relations (RIR) leadership team:
- Professor Philip Barker, Scientific Director of the Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, who will serve as Chair of a new Innovation Steering Committee;
- Professor Philippe Gros, Vice-Dean, Life Sciences, in the Faculty of Medicine, who will act as Coordinator, Health Research and Innovation;
- Professor Peter Grütter, Associate Dean (Research and Graduate Education) and, effective June 1, 2013, Chair of the Department of Physics in the Faculty of Science, who will become Coordinator, Engineering and Science Research and Innovation.
Professors Barker, Gros, and Grütter will continue to serve in their full-time faculty, administrative, and research roles while at the same time also providing key advice to the Vice-Principal (RIR) and liaising with the Faculties and researchers in their designated fields.
The closer involvement of these researchers with RIR underscores our commitment to working more directly with researchers and their Faculties, as well as our dedication to creating a culture of innovation, entrepreneurship, and knowledge transfer across McGill.
In addition to the Innovation Steering Committee chaired by Professor Barker, RIR is undertaking a six-month project, to be completed by fall 2013, which aims to establish McGill as the Canadian leader in innovation, industry partnerships, and community outreach. Led by Michèle Beaulieu, Associate Director, Commercialization, the initiative will assess McGill’s internal commercialization and knowledge translation processes and will include consultation with the McGill community as well as with external stakeholders. The exercise will ultimately result in changes that will help the University provide the best possible services to our researchers while strengthening our reputation as an effective, efficient, and engaged partner for businesses large and small as well as community and non-profit organizations.
The naming of these new members completes RIR’s leadership team and represents a streamlining of our structure and processes. In the past, several Associate Vice-Principals with wide-ranging portfolios reported to the Vice-Principal (RIR). These changes aim to improve the service RIR provides to researchers while wisely shepherding our resources.
Please join us in welcoming Phil, Philippe, and Peter to RIR and wishing them every success in their new roles. I personally thank each of them for this demonstration of dedication to the research and academic mission of McGill.
Research and International Relations Leadership (in alphabetical order)
- Rose Goldstein, Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations)
- Philip Barker, Chair, Innovation Steering Committee
- Marlene Boutet, Director, Awards Management and Operations
- Philippe Gros, Coordinator, Health Research and Innovation
- Peter Grütter, Coordinator, Engineering and Science Research and Innovation
- Brett Hooton, Director, Office of the Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations)
- Jean-François Nadeau, Senior Director, Corporate Relations
- Olga Naiberguer, Director, Grants and Agreements
- Kristina Öhrvall, Director, Strategic Initiatives
- Sarah Stroud, Associate Vice-Principal (Research and International Relations)
- Eli Turk, Director, International Relations