Do you want to be part of our innovative and entrepreneurial team?
Here at Mitacs, we strive to develop the next generation of innovators with vital scientific and business skills. In partnership with companies, government and academia, we support a new economy using Canada’s most valuable resource – its people. You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and enjoy working in a team atmosphere. You are an “out of the box” thinker who strives to implement continuous improvements and you take a strategic approach to the projects you are responsible for. Your opinions are valued and respected.
Our business development team members are the bridge between academia and industry. They spot opportunities and take action! They are at the forefront of marketing collaborative research programs to businesses and professors.
If you were to join Mitacs as the Business Development Specialist for McGill University with a primary focus on the Faculty of Sciences, we’d ask you to do the following:
Work closely with members of Mitacs Business Development, Science and Technology, and Programs teams to deliver high‐quality programming
- Work closely with McGill‘s Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) to fully understand the needs of their researchers, find industry opportunities and identify suitable funding programs to leverage the research opportunities uncovered
- Create and maintain a network of partners/clients in industry and at McGill University
- Introduce companies to various Mitacs events and programs
- Maintain up-to-date a knowledge of research activities and priorities at McGill University; encourage interdisciplinarity by connecting faculty members to others who share similar research interests
- Connect McGill’s researchers to companies based on advanced knowledge of researcher’s unique areas of expertise, interest in partnering with industry; respond on enquiries from companies
- Support faculty members in development of research funding proposals for partnership grants and contracts
- Administer the Faculty of Science’s Celebrated Fessenden Commercialization Awards program
- Collaborate with Mitacs staff and/or McGill staff to organize scientific events including aspects related to networking with new or existing partners, scientific planning, logistics, and funding
- Provide support to the Mitacs Business Development Team as needed
- Provide business development support to all Mitacs programs as needed
- Collaborate closely with McGill’s central research administration office to advance research
This sounds quite exciting and challenging, right? Let’s hope so, because if it does, there’s a good chance this job is right for you. Here’s what you will have already that will help you to handle these challenges:
- Recent M.SC., PhD or Post-doc., ideally, from McGill University
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Enthusiastic and high‐energy self‐starter
- Team player
- Ability to think creatively and try new things
- Desire to pursue a career outside of research and academia
* Please note that this position is available only at McGill University*
At Mitacs, we foster a culture where creativity and innovation is valued and encouraged. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and a team based work environment.
We welcome your application directly to hr [at] mitacs.ca indicating “Business Development Specialist –McGill– YOUR NAME” in the subject line. Applications must include both a CV and cover letter in word or pdf format. We thank all applicants but only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Mitacs values the contributions of a diverse workforce and is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.