Fellowship Director, Head & Neck Imaging
MD, PhD, FRCPC, DABR (CAQ Neuroradiology)
Neuroradiology and Head and Neck Radiology
Artificial Intelligence Medical Application
Precision Health and Oncology
Head & Neck Imaging
Executive Committee: Vice-President/Incoming President of the Eastern Neuroradiological Society 2019-2010
Program Chair, 31st Annual Meeting of the Eastern Neuroradiological Society, New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, Brooklyn, New York, Aug. 22-25, 2019 http://www.enrs.org/files/2019-04/enrs19.pdf
Chair of the Research Committee, American Society of Head and Neck Radiology, 2018-2019
Theme leader, Artificial Intelligence-Assisted Radiomics for Advanced Diagnostics, McGill Centre for Translational Research in Cancer (MCTRC), Jan. 1, 2018 – present
McGill University Health Centre Director and Lead Investigator
Augmented Intelligence & Precision Health Laboratory RI-MUHC (Research Institute of McGill University Health Centre)
FRQS Clinical Research Scholar and Clinical Investigator
RI-MUHC and Segal Cancer Centre & Lady Davis Research Institute of the Jewish General Hospital Theme Leader
Artificial Intelligence-Assisted Radiomics for Advanced Diagnostics
McGill Centre for Translational Research in Cancer Director
MD, PhD 2001
General Surgery Internship, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, June 2001 – Apr. 2002
Residency Training in Family Medicine, St.Mary’s Hospital and McGill University, Montreal, Que, July 2002 - Mar. 2004
Residency Training in Diagnostic Radiology, McGill University, Montreal, Que. Sept 2004 – June 2008
Diagnostic Neuroradiology Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, July 2008 – June 2010
Clinical Assistant, Radiology (Neuroradiology), Massachusetts General Hospital, July 2009 – June 2010
Instructor of Radiology, Harvard Medical School, Jan 2010 – June 2010
For the full list of peer-reviewed publications, please click here.
1. Seidler M, Forghani B, Reinhold C, Pérez-Lara A, Romero-Sanchez G, Muthukrishnan N, Wichmann JL, Melki G, Yu E, Forghani R (2019). “Dual-Energy CT Texture Analysis With Machine Learning for the Evaluation and Characterization of Cervical Lymphadenopathy.” Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2019 Jul 16;17:1009-1015. doi: 10.1016/j.csbj.2019.07.004. eCollection 2019.
2. Forghani R, Savadjiev P, Chatterjee A, Muthukrishnan N, Reinhold C, Forghani B (2019). “Radiomics and Artificial Intelligence for Biomarker and Prediction Model Development in Oncology.” Comput Struct Biotechnol J. 2019 Jul 12;17:995-1008. doi: 10.1016/j.csbj.2019.07.001. eCollection 2019. Review.
3. Forghani R, Chatterjee A, Reinhold C, Pérez-Lara A, Romero-Sanchez G, Ueno Y, Bayat M, Alexander JWM, Kadi L, Chankowsky J, Seuntjens J, Forghani B. Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Prediction of Cervical Lymph Node Metastasis by Dual-Energy CT Texture Analysis with Machine Learning. Eur Radiol. 2019 Apr 12. doi: 10.1007/s00330-019-06159-y.
4. Tan CO, Lam S, Kuppens D, Bergmans R, Parameswaran BK, Forghani R, Hu R, Besheli LD, Goldstein JN, Thrall J, Lev M, Romero JM, Gupta R. Spot and Diffuse Signs: Quantitative Markers of Intracranial Hemorrhage Expansion at Dual Energy CT. Radiology. 2019 Jan;290(1):179-186. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2018180322.
5. Al Ajmi E, Forghani B, Reinhold C, Bayat M, Forghani R (2018). Spectral multi-energy CT texture analysis with machine learning for tissue classification: an investigation using classification of benign parotid tumours as a testing paradigm. European Radiology, 2018 Jun;28(6):2604-2611. doi: 10.1007/s00330-017-5214-0. [Epub ahead of print].
6. Forghani R, Srinivasan A, Forghani B (2017). “Advanced tissue characterization and texture analysis using dual-energy computed tomography: Horizons and emerging applications." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2017 Aug;27(3):533-546. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2017.04.007.
7. Forghani R, Kelly HR, Curtin HD (2017). “Applications of dual-energy computed tomography for the evaluation of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2017 Aug;27(3):445-459. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2017.04.001.
8. Forghani R, De Man B, Gupta R (2017). “Dual-Energy computed tomography: Physical Principles, Approaches to Scanning, Usage, and Implementation: Part 2." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2017 Aug;27(3):385-400. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2017.03.003.
9. Forghani R, De Man B, Gupta R (2017). “Dual-Energy Computed Tomography: Physical Principles, Approaches to Scanning, Usage, and Implementation: Part 1." Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2017 Aug;27(3):371-384. doi: 10.1016/j.nic.2017.03.002.
10. Ueno Y, Forghani B, Forghani R, Dohan A, Zeng Z, Chamming’s F, Arseneau J, Fu L, Gilbert L, Gallix B, Reinhold C (2017). “Endometrial Carcinoma: MR Imaging-based texture model for preoperative risk stratification-A preliminary analysis.” Radiology. 2017 Sep;284(3);748-757. doi: 10.1148/radiol.2017161950. PMID: 28493790
11. Nair JR, DeBlois F, Ong T, Devic S, Tomic N, Bekerat H, Rosenbloom L, Sultanem K, Forghani R (2017). “Dual energy CT: Balance between iodine attenuation and artifact reduction for the evaluation of head and neck cancer.” J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2017 Nov/Dec;41(6):931-936. doi: 10.1097/RCT.0000000000000617.
12. Forghani R, Kelly H, Yu E, Belair M, Létourneau-Guillon L, Le H, Proulx F, Ong T, Tan X, Curtin HD, Levental M (2016). “Low-energy virtual monochromatic dual-energy CT images for the evaluation of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: A study of tumor visibility compared with single-energy CT and user acceptance.” J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2017 Jul/Aug;41(4):565-571. doi: 10.1097/RCT.0000000000000571.
13. Lam S, Gupta R, Kelly H, Curtin HD, Forghani R (2015). “Multiparametric Evaluation of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Using a Single-Source Dual-Energy CT with Fast kVp Switching: State of the Art.” Cancers 7: 2201–2216. doi:10.3390/cancers7040886.
14. Lam S, Gupta R, Levental M, Yu E, Curtin HD, Forghani R (2015). "Optimal Virtual Monochromatic Images for Evaluation of Normal Tissues and Head and Neck Cancer Using Dual-Energy CT." AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015 Aug; 36(8): 1518-24. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A4314. Article selected for AJNR News Digest (2018)
15. Forghani R, Levental M, Gupta R, Lam S, Dadfar N. Curtin HD (2015). "Different Spectral Hounsfield Unit Curve and High-Energy Virtual Monochromatic Image Characteristics of Squamous Cell Carcinoma Compared with Nonossified Thyroid Cartilage." AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2015 Jun; 36(6): 1194-200. doi: 10.3174/ajnr.A4253. Selected for the September 2015 AJNR Fellows’ Journal Club podcast conducted at the University of Toronto.
Selected books, chapters, and editorial positions:
Guest Editor, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, 2020
Yu E, Forghani R, Eds. (2018) Book: Skull Base Cancer Imaging: The Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment Planning. Thieme Publishers, New York, NY
Guest Editor, Dual Energy CT: Applications in Neurologic, Head and Neck Imaging. Neuroimaging Clinics of North America, Guest Eds Reza Forghani and Hillary Kelly, Elsevier Inc. 2017 Aug;27(3)