The Recruitment to Retirement (R2R) program is a game changer for the McGill community. Currently, the University uses multiple aging tools to manage its personnel. To best serve the needs of the University, our processes must be standardized and streamlined. Our systems must also be more unified, efficient, flexible, cost-effective and easy to use.
We have selected a web-based system, called " Workday," to help us achieve this. The Workday system will:
- Include all employees’ related information from the day they start to the day they leave.
- Incorporate best practices for human resources and academic personnel management in higher education.
- Be more efficient and user-friendly.
- All Human Resources and academic personnel processes from recruitment to retirement.
- Talent management with career & succession planning as well as workforce planning may be added to the second phase.
Our vision of the new HR system is to:
- Rationalize, standardize, streamline and automate personnel management processes.
- Mitigate HR-related risks to the University.
- Improve accessibility to employee information and reporting.
We urgently need to replace our current systems:
- Banner Human Resources Information System (HRIS) has been bogged down with too many custom forms, laborious manual processes, duplicate data entry and challenging government reporting.
- Payroll One-Time Payment System (POPS) has inadequate approval workflows. There are many manual processes, and the information is managed in multiple databases.
The move from our current HR system to Workday will achieve the following:
- Provide one single system to manage all personnel information. Currently, multiple databases coexist (e.g. central systems and applications developed locally by the Faculties and Units).
- Make fast and accurate reporting procedure for regulatory compliance reporting, strategic/executive level reporting (dashboards), and operational reporting (e.g. ad-hoc lists of employees).
- Decrease the risk of human error by reducing manual processing.
- Improve access to transactional data to facilitate decision making with more granular security access management.
- Offer mobile and user-friendly access to all employees.
⇒ Related blog article: 10 Reasons to be Excited About Workday at McGill!
1. Keep it simple!
|2. One way to act / be / to |
Create and strengthen standard common practices / policies
Think institutionally, McGill, rather than only locally