We have selected Workday as our web-based HRMS. It integrates a broad range of processes including hiring, personal information management, payroll management and much more. It provides a state-of-the-art technology capable of supporting McGill's needs, well into the future.
Workday is recognized as the premier personnel management software in higher education. Some major North American universities (including Brown, Yale, Cornell, Chicago and Brock) have successfully implemented this system. From the start of the project, McGill conducted a benchmark analysis with several of these universities and will continue to benefit from the lessons learned and best practices of these peer institutions.
This new HRMS system will:
- Help simplify, standardize and automate the employee management processes,
- Give McGill's decision-makers access to real-time data on the University's workforce, allowing them to be timely informed and to make strategic choices,
- Be integrated with central IT systems, external systems and local applications.
Workday is a cloud solution, also called "Software as a service" (SaaS). McGill opted for this solution, as the best choice in terms of software quality and infrastructure sustainability:
- A cloud solution is owned, delivered and managed by the provider. McGill pays for the service, not for the license.
- To ensure evolving best practices, the features are the same for all customers. There can be some configuration exceptions as per McGill's needs.
- Updates are frequent and easier to manage than with our in-house systems.
- Data can be accessed from anywhere via internet using tablets, laptops, or desktops.
- Satisfies all local security & regulatory compliance requirements.
Workday modules offer all functionalities to support our personnel management lifecycle, from Recruitment to Retirement:
- Human Capital Management (HCM) – includes employee information, organization structure, academic tenure & promotion, onboarding and labour relations
- Performance management
- Absence management
- Time tracking
For each Workday module, Process Owners and Subject Matter Experts are appointed. They are representatives of the Office of the Provost and Vice-Principal Academic (OPVPA), Central HR, IT Services and some of the Faculties and Units.
Workday provides a user-friendly interface and intuitive ways to navigate through workflows and information.