1955-56, Nuffield Fellowship
1960, Watumull Prize, American Historical Association, for "NEHRU: A Political Biography", "the best book on India published in the preceding two years"
1964-65, Rockefeller Fellowship
1965-66, John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship
1973, Woodrow Wilson Award, American Political Science Association, for _The Foreign Policy System of Israel_, "the best book on government, politics and international affairs published in the preceding year"
1970-4 & 1976-9, Killam Awards, Canada Council
1976-, Fellow, Royal Society of Canada
1986, Fieldhouse Award for Distinguished Teaching, McGill University
1990 - Present
1995, Distinguished Scholar Award, International Studies Association, Foreign Policy Analysis Section
1999-2000, President, International Studies Association
2000, Leon-Gerin Quebec Prize for the Human Sciences
2000, Award for High Distinction in Research, McGill University
2009, Lifetime Achievement Award, American Political Science Association (Conflict Processes)
PhD, Yale, F.R.S.C.
Theory of Crisis, Conflict and War
Protracted Conflicts/Enduring Rivalries
Foreign Policy Theory and Decision-Making
Middle East International Politics, esp. the Arab-Israel conflict and peace process
South Asia International Relations
- Protracted Conflicts and World Politics (book)
- The Arab/Israel Conflict (book)
- A Century of Crisis and Conflict in the International System: Theory and Evidence, Palgrave-Macmillan (U.S.), 2017.
- Dynamics of the Arab-Israel Conflict: Past and Present, Palgrave-Macmillan, 2017.
- Political Leadership and Charisma: Nehru, Ben-Gurion, and Other 20th Century Political Leaders, Palgrave-Macmillan (U.S.), 2016.
- The World of Protracted Conflicts, Rowman and Littlefield Lexington Books, 2016.
- International Political Earthquakes, University of Michigan Press, 2008.
- Nehru: A Political Biography Oxford University Press 2005 (paperback edition of the original 1959 work) 682 pages.
- Millennial Reflections on International Studies, editor, with Frank P. Harvey, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2002 (5 vols.)
- A Study of Crisis, with Jonathan Wilkenfield, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 1997. (Paperback and CD-ROM edition, 2000)
- Crises in World Politics: Theory and Reality, Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1993.
- Editor and Contributor, "Crisis, Conflict and War", Special Issue of International Political Science Review, 17(2), 1996, pp. 127-228.
- "Escalation and War in the Twentieth Century: Findings from the International Crisis Behaviour Project" with Patrick James and Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in John A. Vasquez (ed.) What Do We Know About War? Lanham, MD: Rowman and Littlefield, 2000. pp. 37-53.
- "Interstate Crises and Violence: Twentieth Century Findings", with Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in Manus I. Midlarsky (ed.) Handbook of War Studies II, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press, 2000, pp.271-300.
- "International Studies in the Twentieth Century and Beyond: Flawed Dichotomies, Synthesis, Cumulation", International Studies Quarterly 43(2) 1999. pp. 213-264.
- "Crisis Escalation: A New Model and Findings," in Frank P. Harvey and Ben Mor (eds.) Conflict in World Politics: Advances in the Study of Crisis, War and Peace, Macmillan, London, 1997. pp. 119-141.
- with Jonathan Wilkenfield, "The Ethnic Dimension of International Crises," in David Carment and Patrick James (eds.), Wars in the Midst of Peace: The International Politics of Ethnic Conflict, Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press, 1997, pp. 164-193
- "Reflections on a Life in Academe", International Studies Notes, 20(3) 1995, pp.1-8.
- "Profiles of Interstate Crises, 1918-1988," , with Mark Peranson and David Emelifeonwu International Interactions 20(4) 1995, pp. 375-401.
- "International Crises: Reflections on the Future", Security Studies, 3(4), 1994, pp. 650-677.
- "Eban and Israeli Foreign Policy: Diplomacy, War and Disengagement", in Gordon A. Craig and Francis Lowenheim (eds). The Diplomats, 1939-1979, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1994, pp. 397-435.
- "International Crises and Global Instability: The Myth of the `Long Peace'", with Jonathan Wilkenfeld, in Charles W. Kegley, Jr. (ed.) The Long Postwar Peace, New York: Harper Collins, 1991, pp. 85-104.
- "Nehru's Place in History", in Milton Israel (ed.) Nehru and the Twentieth Century. Toronto: University of Toronto Centre for South Asian Studies, 1991. pp. 23-52.