QUARANTINE PACKAGE FOR VISA TRAINEES ARRIVING FROM ABROAD AND STARTING TRAINING IN THE 2020-2021 ACADEMIC YEAR
To protect the population from the outbreak of COVID-19, the Prime Minister announced travel restrictions that limit travel to Canada. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that medical residents and fellows are permitted to enter the country. Please see details under Temporary Workers on their website. When you arrive in Canada, you must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days. This is MANDATORY, even if you have no symptoms. If you do not have a plan, you should not travel to Canada. Compliance with this requirement is subject to monitoring, verification and enforcement by the Federal Government. Those in violation may face detention in a quarantine facility as well as fines and/or imprisonment.
During this quarantine period, individuals are not permitted to leave their room/residence nor engage with the public. Please refer to the Mandatory Quarantine document provided by the Federal Government for detailed information.
ACTION POINTS FOR VISA TRAINEES ARRIVING FROM ABROAD
You must complete the Quarantine Self-Isolation Plan and submit it to your Residency Coordinator at the PGME Office as soon as you have confirmed all the details regarding your arrival and quarantine plan in Canada. This document must be ready to be submitted to the Border Service Officer at the Port of Entry when you arrive in Canada.
Please ensure to bring the letter of introduction from IRCC confirming that you have been approved to work in Canada with you. Do not pack this or other valuable papers in your checked luggage. You can find out more about which documents you will need to bring with you by visiting the Government of Canada website. In doubt, make sure to carry all documents with you while travelling.
Accommodation & Housing
McGill Housing and Conference Services negotiated a special rate for PGME Visa Trainees at the Cantlie Hotel for a quarantine self-isolation period:
$85.00 Per night / 11 day minimum Stay Studio King or Studio 2 Queen
$105.00 Per night / 11 day minimum Stay Junior Suite 2 Queen, Executive Suite 2 double bed, Junior suite 1 king bed
- $125.00 Per night / 11 day minimum Stay Premiere Suite 2 Queen beds and sofa bed
$25.00 per day + for 3rd and or 4th adult. Children 14 and under stay for free.
> Hotel-style suite with one King bed or 2 Queen Bed and equipped kitchens
> A valid credit card is needed at check in for incidentals and or room payment
> Rooms furnished with linen, towels, toiletries
> In-room service is not provided during stay Trainees should plan to bring enough clothes for a 14-day period so that laundry services will not be required.
> You must not linger or loiter ( it was reported that RCMP officers were visiting to ensure distancing measures are respected)
Zante the Greek restaurant located on the ground floor of the hotel lobby is open and food can be ordered for take out. The hotel will provide a comprehensive list of all the available food/delivery options that are available to all guest that reserve with us. The front desk as well as the reservation agent will be there to assist and answer any questions for those first time fledgling travelers.
To reserve, click here and enter the rate code MED2021 and the special rates will be displayed. Or contact Ms. Veronique Desbien at ventesadjoint [at] hotelcantlie.com.
The option described above have a no pet policy.
Book your hotel accommodation through the McGill's Official Hotel Program next time you plan to visit the campus and benefit from our preferred rates. All students and parents are eligible.
Grocery Delivery Services
- Metro - https://www.metro.ca/en/online-grocery
- IGA - https://www.iga.net/en/online_grocery
- Provigo - https://www.provigo.ca/collections/PCX-Delivery/017744000000
Important links you should refer to before arriving in Canada:
Travel Restrictions measures: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#travel-restriction-exemptions
Who is an immediate family member: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#immediate
- Mandatory quarantine: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html
- PDF COVID-19 precautions: https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/phac-aspc/documents/services/publications/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/covid-19-travellers-without-symptoms-returning-canada/covid-19-travellers-without-symptoms-returning-canada-eng.pdf
- Travel exemption : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine
- SIN number – applying online: https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/work/social-insurance
- McGill International Student Services (ISS) – additional info: https://www.mcgill.ca/internationalstudents/covid19-resources