COD 4: Diagnosing and managing pediatric patients
- This EPA focuses on assessing, diagnosing and providing management for patients with an acute presentation.
- This includes patients with a new presentation, as well as patients with acute exacerbations or decompensations of a chronic disorder and/or complications of treatment or the condition.
- It also includes arranging for inpatient, emergency, or outpatient follow-up.
- This EPA does not include resuscitation of critically ill or injured patients.
Direct observation or case review by supervisor, TTP or subspecialty resident, clinical associate or nurse practitioner
Use form 1. Form collects information on:
- Ages: neonate; infant; preschool; school age; adolescent
- Setting: inpatient; outpatient; emergency department; community; NICU; PICU
- Type of condition (check all that apply): respiratory; gastrointestinal; ID; cardiac; rheumatic/musculoskeletal; hematology/oncology; endocrine; neurology; renal/genitourinary; otolaryngology/ophthalmology; dermatology; genetic; allergy/immunology
Collect 8 observations of achievement.
- At least 6 direct observations
- At least 2 of each age group: neonate; infant/preschool; school aged; adolescent
- No more than 2 observations with the same type of condition as the primary presenting medical problem
- At least 6 observed by supervisor
- At least 3 different assessors
- ME 1.4 Perform a clinical assessment that addresses all relevant issues
- ME 1.3 Apply clinical and biomedical sciences to manage complex patient presentations
- ME 2.2 Select and/or interpret appropriate investigations
- S 3.4 Integrate best evidence and clinical expertise into decision-making
- ME 2.4 Develop and implement a management plan that considers all of the patient’s health problems and context
- COL 1.3 Integrate the patient’s and family’s perspective and context into the care plan
- HA 1.1 Identify barriers to access and care for individual patients
- ME 4.1 Determine the need for and timing of referral to another health care professional
- ME 4.1 Establish plans for ongoing care, follow-up on investigations, response to treatment and/or monitoring for disease progression
- COM 4.3 Use communication skills and strategies that help the patient and/or family understand the diagnosis and plan
- COL 1.3 Work effectively with other health care professionals to plan and provide integrated care