Your McGill-specific rights and responsibilities
Students who register with the OSD have the same personal rights and responsibilities and academic rights and responsibilities as all McGill students. For more information, please consult the McGill Student Rights and Responsibilities web page and the Policy Concerning the Rights of Students with Disabilities.
Your OSD-specific rights
Students registered with the OSD for reasons related to temporary, permanent, or episodic impairments have a right to access their education with reasonable accommodations. These accommodations are directly related to barriers faced and are determined in collaboration with an Access Services Advisor. If you have any questions about your accommodations or feel that you are not being reasonably accommodated in your courses, please schedule an appointment with an Access Services Advisor.
Your OSD-specific responsibilities
Students who register with the OSD have responsibilities in the following areas:
Appointments and accommodations
- Students are responsible to identify to the OSD, provide the appropriate supporting documentation, and participate in the process of accommodation planning.
- Students are responsible for scheduling follow-up appointments with the OSD to review or update their accommodation plans, when necessary.
- Students are responsible to notify the OSD, with 24 hours’ notice, if they are unable to attend a scheduled appointment.
- Students are responsible for knowing their accommodations and are encouraged to review these every semester.
- Students are responsible for signing up to write all tests (midterms, in-class tests, deferred exams, and summer course exams ), in which they wish to make use of their approved accommodations at least 7 days in advance using our exam sign-up form.
- Students are responsible for signing up to write all Fall and Winter semester exams in which they wish to make use of their approved accommodations at least one month before the final exam period using our exam sign up form.
- Students are responsible for showing up to write their exams on time with all of the necessary approved materials.
- Students are responsible to notify the OSD exam coordinators if they do not wish to write a scheduled exam at OSD with at least 24 hours’ notice.
- Students are responsible for communicating any exam issues directly to one of the invigilators and/or exam coordinators.
Note sharing program
- Students are responsible for signing up for note sharing in their courses at the beginning of every semester.
- Students are responsible for communicating directly with their note sharer if there are any problems in the quantity, quality, or timing of the uploading of their course notes.
- Students are responsible for communicating with OSD should their efforts with the note sharer not be productive.
- Students are responsible for communicating changes in their academic situation, barriers, or diagnoses to an Access Services Advisor.
- Students are responsible for being respectful in their communications with any and all OSD staff.
- Students are responsible for contacting the OSD early in the semester to make arrangements for any specific technology they need to support them academically;
- Students are responsible for signing the lending agreement and following the guidelines for respectful use;
- Students are responsible for returning the borrowed equipment at the end of the semester on or before the agreed upon date in the lending agreement.