Independent Study Away Summer (including online)
An independent study away is when a McGill student applies, registers, takes courses and pays tuition to an accredited degree granting institution and receives an official transcript of these studies from the same undergraduate degree granting school. Students must be registered at the host school as a “non-degree Visiting student” and take courses that are part of the host university’s undergraduate curriculum, taught by their faculty members.
Studies must be completed at a university that appears on the Arts OASIS lists of institutions approved for transfer credit, grouped by continent: Africa The Americas Asia and The Middle East Europe Oceania Online
NOTE: Although a university may appear on the Arts OASIS list of institutions approved for transfer credit, it is the student’s responsibility (not Arts OASIS) to confirm that:
- the university has an undergraduate “visiting, non-degree” student status;
- you meet the host university’s eligibility and student visa requirements;
- you meet their application requirements and can afford the host university’s tuition.
- Students may not enroll in courses at an affiliated partner university of the host institution.
- Students will not receive transfer credit for studies arranged by or offered through study abroad organizations, third parties or intermediaries.
- Student are not permitted to be concurrently registered as an undergraduate degree student at two different universities.
Before beginning an application, you should carefully review the information in the Plan & Prepare section of this website, the Arts OASIS Study Away Guide and the Arts OASIS Host University checklist.
At the time of application:
- Have a minimum McGill CGPA of 2.00 and maintain this CGPA for study away eligibility.
- Be currently registered as a full-time student in a McGill BA, BSW or B.Th. degree.
- Have successfully completed a minimum of 12 graded McGill credits. Courses taken under the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory option are not graded credits.
- Register for 12 or less total credits during the Summer term; this credit total includes resident McGill credits and credits taken at another host university during the Summer term. (See course load)
- Ensure that the host university you wish to attend the Arts OASIS lists of institutions approved for transfer credit, grouped by continent.
Students in their U3 year of study (see your Minerva student record) must submit a completed Degree Planning Worksheet concurrently with their Minerva Study Away application.
Keep in mind the residency requirement for the B.A degree when planning your Independent Study Away:
- You must satisfactorily complete a minimum of 60 credits at McGill University.
- A minimum of two-thirds of all program requirements (Multi-track, Honours, Faculty program) must be satisfactorily completed at McGill.
SUMMER TERM - February 1 to July 15
Before beginning an application, you should carefully review the information on the Plan & Prepare section of this website and the Arts OASIS Study Away Guide.
STUDY AWAY APPLICATION PROCEDURES
Please note the following:
If your Minerva record shows that you are in your U3 year of study and you are planning to study away, please consult our Arts OASIS graduation checklist to be sure that you will be meeting all your graduation requirements.
Students who are taking one or more courses at another university during their term of graduation WILL NOT be eligible to graduate at the end of that final term. These students MUST select the NEXT available term of graduation.
Minerva Study Away Application
- If you do not submit all the required information by the deadline you have been given, your application will be FACULTY REFUSED.
- If you wish to take an online education course, please read the information under Transferring Credit, "Online Education Policy".
- If you have a “HOLD” on your Minerva record, this may prevent the processing of your study away application. Contact Student Accounts (514-398-3900) or Service Point (514-398-7878) immediately to resolve any outstanding HOLDS.
- Check your McGill email account regularly for important notices as this is our official means of communication during the application process and during your term away.
IMPORTANT: Minerva will time out within 90 minutes of inactivity so have your information ready to paste into the Minerva application so you don’t lose your work and miss the deadline!
Part 1: Application Process
Step 1: Verify that the University you wish to attend appears on the Arts OASIS lists of institutions approved for transfer credit, grouped by continent.
Step 2: If you are in your U3 year of study, submit your completed Degree Planning Worksheet to Arts OASIS concurrently with the submission of your Minerva Study Away application. Using your McGill email account, send the PDF attachment to studyaway.arts [at] mcgill.ca in the following "Subject" format: Degree Planning Worksheet [Family Name/First Name] [Student ID number].
Step 3: Minerva Study Away Application
To begin a study away application, you must go to the Minerva Study Away Request Form. To access the request form, log on to Minerva and navigate to: Student Menu > Student Records Menu > Exchange/Study Away Menu > Request for Study Away. For instructions, select the word “HELP” in the upper right hand corner of the Minerva screen.
Step 4: Submit a brief statement of purpose indicating your reasons for applying to study away. This text area allows 4000 characters (about one page single spaced). We recommend that the statement of purpose be written in a separate text editor (e.g. MS Word) to avoid being timed out and potentially losing work. If you are applying to multiple institutions you will need to submit a separate statement of purpose for each institution.
Step 5: McGill Course Equivalency
McGill Faculty and departments are responsible for assessing course content and assigning course equivalencies for course taken at another university using McGill’s Course Equivalency System.
BEFORE beginning this step, carefully read the information under Transferring Credit, "McGill Course Equivalency" for an explanation of this process.
Step 6: Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form
The Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form must be completed by all McGill students completing courses at another university.
BEFORE beginning this step, carefully read the information under Transferring Credit, "Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form" for an explanation of this process.
Once your courses have been assessed on McGill’s Course Equivalency System, access your Minerva Study Away application to begin the process of adding the course(s) you wish to take at the host university. To access the form, log on to Minerva and navigate to: Student Menu > Student Records Menu > Exchange/Study Away Menu > View Application Status > Click on the Details link. At the bottom of your Minerva Study Away application, you will find a link to the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form.
For instructions on how to complete the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment form, select the word “HELP” in the upper right hand corner of the Minerva screen. Follow the instructions provided on the attached link. (http://www.is.mcgill.ca/whelp/sis_help/Transfer_CreditForm_student.htm)
IMPORTANT:Your courses must be evaluated on McGill’s Course Equivalency System and then be entered on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form concurrently with the submission of your Minerva Study Away application.
The courses entered on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form will be approved by Arts OASIS as ELECTIVE CREDIT ONLY. If you wish to use a course towards a program of study, read the information under Transferring Credit, "Program Requirement Approval" for an explanation of this process.
Step 7: Send an email from your McGill email account to studyaway.arts [at] mcgill.ca ( )to inform the Study Away team that your Minerva Study Away application is ready for final review. You will not be able to edit specific course information or delete a course you have added to the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form once the final review process has begun so email the Study Away team if you encounter any difficulties.
Your Minerva Study Away application is considered complete and will be evaluated only once ALL seven steps have been completed.
Once your application is complete:
The processing time for a complete application is normally 5 to 10 working days.
Your application will be granted a status of 'Faculty Approved' or 'Faculty Refused' in the 'Faculty Application Status' field of your Minerva Study Away application.
Once you have been approved to study away, remember to read the “SAO Special Instructions" section of your Minerva study away application and complete all the required steps.
If your McGill study away application is “Faculty Approved”, your Minerva record will be updated to non-resident "Term Away" status AFTER June 15th only if you are not registered for any McGill summer course(s).
Letter of permission (LOP)
- A Letter of Permission can be downloaded from your approved Minerva Study Away application.
- This is your official letter of approval, the one that grants you McGill authorization to take courses at the specified host university during the specified term as a Visiting student for the purpose of transferring course equivalences and credits toward your McGill degree.
- Your Letter of Permission will include the courses that have been approved on the Minerva Transfer Credit Assessment Form.
- This letter may be required by the Host University’s Registrar's Office, Enrollment Services or International Study Abroad Office and is provided in place of any forms that must be provided to the host school confirming your permission to study away.
NOTE: Please be advised that Arts OASIS does not send or fax Letters of Permission (LOP) to the host university. It is the responsibility of each student to submit their Letter of Permission directly to the host university.
Part 2: Transferring Credit
Once your study away application has been granted the status of 'Faculty Approved', read the information found under Transferring Credit, for an explanation of this process.
Part 3: Pre-departure Information Session & Minerva Travel Registry
If approved for a Study Away term outside Canada you are required to attend a mandatory Pre-departure Orientation session.
Once your McGill record indicates “Term Away” for Summer, if approved for a Study Away term outside Canada, you are required to fill out the Minerva Travel Registry Form.
NOTE: You will not have access to the McGill Travel Registry Form until your Minerva record shows “Term Away –Arts”.