Nineteen McGill researchers honoured by the Royal Society of Canada
Today, The Royal Society of Canada (RSC) announced 101 new Fellows and 58 new Members of the College of New Scholars, Artists, and Scientists. Among the 2023 cohort are nineteen McGill researchers and scholars, including fifteen RSC Fellows and four new Members, who will be inducted at the RSC Celebration of Excellence and Engagement (COEE) on November 16 and 17, 2023, in Waterloo, Ontario.
McGill’s 2023 RSC cohort includes researchers whose projects are diverse, from working in the areas of children and families affected by war and migration (Myriam Denov, Arts), to studying the role of the vascular system and blood in aggressiveness and progression of human cancers (Janusz Rak, Medicine and Health Sciences). Honourees are also studying decolonization and Indigenization of political theory (Yann Allard-Tremblay, Arts), and youth mental health and suicide prevention (Marie-Claude Geoffroy, Medicine and Health Sciences), among other fascinating topics.
“Congratulations to McGill’s 2023 cohort of new Royal Society of Canada Fellows and Members,” said Martha Crago, Vice-Principal, Research and Innovation. “These tremendous recognitions bestowed by the RSC are testaments to the exceptional talents of our University’s researchers, and to their dedication to pushing the boundaries of knowledge.”
McGill’s 2023 RSC Fellows
Academy of Science:
- Elena Bennett, Professor, Department of Natural Resource Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Sustainability Science.
- Louis Collins, Professor, Departments of Biomedical Engineering and Neurology and Neurosurgery, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Luda Diatchenko, Pfizer Canada Professor in Pain Research, Faculty of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences; Professor, Departments of Anesthesia and Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Matt Dobbs, Professor, Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Physics, Faculty of Science; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Radio Cosmology and Instrumentation.
- Galen Pippa Halverson, James McGill Professor and T.H. Clark Chair, Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences, Faculty of Science.
- Madhukar Pai, Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Biostatistics & Occupational Health, Faculty of Medicine; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Translational Epidemiology & Global Health; Associate Director, McGill International TB Centre.
- Joelle Pineau, Professor and William Dawson Scholar, School of Computer of Science, Faculty of Science.
- Janusz Rak, Professor, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Nathalie Tufenkji, Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Biocolloids and Surfaces.
Academy of Arts and Humanities:
- Alberto Cambrosio, Professor, Department of Social Studies of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Jocelyn Maclure, Professor and Stephen A. Jarislowsky Chair in Human Nature and Technology, Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Arts.
- Gerbern Oegema, Professor, School of Religious Studies, Faculty of Arts.
Academy of Social Sciences:
- Myriam Denov, Professor, School of Social Work, Faculty of Arts; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Children, Families and Armed Conflict.
- Samer Faraj, Professor, Desautels Faculty of Management; Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Technology Innovation & Organizing.
- Victoria Talwar, Interim Dean, Faculty of Education; Former Chair, Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, Faculty of Education.
McGill’s 2023 Members to the College of New Scholars, Artists, and Scientists
- Yann Allard-Tremblay, Assistant Professor, Department of Political Science; Faculty of Arts.
- Simon Caron-Huot, Assistant Professor, Department of Physics, Faculty of Science; Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in High-Energy Physics.
- Mallar Chakravarty, Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences; Director, Brain Imaging Centre, Douglas Research Centre;
- Marie-Claude Geoffroy, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences; Tier 2 Canada Research Chair in Youth Mental Health and Suicide Prevention; Researcher, Douglas Mental Health University Institute.