Year-end McGill Quiz: how well do you know your University?
By McGill Reporter Staff
It was, as always, an eventful year at McGill. Were you paying attention? Here’s a year-end McGill quiz to test your knowledge of the University and events in 2013.
We’ll publish the answers in a few days.
1. Our new Principal, Suzanne Fortier, hails from what tiny town in Quebec?
2. Ollivier Dyens, McGill’s new Deputy Provost (Student Life and Learning) comes to us from which Canadian university?
3. Which airline is NOT party of McGill’s travel management plan?
4. How big (in diameter) was the water main that ruptured last January, flooding the downtown campus and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to McGill buildings?
5. A team from the Desautels Faculty of Management won an enormous prize this year with a plan to feed people in developing countries using what?
6. The Governor General plays what special role at McGill? (You need his title in the answer).
7. What does QI stand for?
8. Jim Nicell got a new job this year. As what?
9. Why might you have heard of Laurent Duvernay-Tardif ?
10. Construction projects that ripped up Pine Ave. earlier this year, meant that the Currie Gym could not be used as usual as a large venue for exams. What rather unusual place was found last spring for finals?
11. Name the well-known singer was awarded an honorary degree last spring.
12. What fruit, botanically speaking, was the focus of a major event on the downtown campus during Orientation Week?
13. How many McGill alumni are in the federal cabinet?
14. What does MOOC stand for?
15. How many years in a row has McGill topped the Maclean’s magazine rankings of medical/doctoral universities in Canada?
16. Name the Trivia team that won the Centraide Trivia Challenge this year.
a. Thistle Rocks
b. Hotel de Ville
c. Ministry of Truth
d. Date Night
17. Who is Quebec’s Minister of Higher Education, Science, Research and Technology?
18. Which McGill varsity sports team is sitting on an 11-game winning streak at the moment?
19. Which residence hall is currently closed for extensive renovation?
20. McGill picked up two important certifications this year related to the food it serves. You have to name them or describe them both to get the full point.
21. Which federal politician routinely wears his McGill tie at public functions?
22. How many honorary degrees were awarded to former Principal Heather Munroe-Blum this year? Bonus point if you can name one of the institutions.
23. Which is McGill’s biggest building, in terms of the number of people who work there?
b. Burnside Hall
c. Stewart Biology
d. McIntyre Medical
24. Where is Tadja Hall?
25. You might have heard of Katie Larson this year. What does she do?
Bonus tie-breaker question: How old would James McGill be today?