Researchers get inaugural Foundation grants for high-impact, long-term programs
Researchers from the Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, McGill University have been awarded over $15 million in grants in the latest round of funding by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR). The grants are part of over $600 million in national funding, announced July 28 by Minister of Health Rona Ambrose.
The announcement covers two categories of funding: Transitional Open Operating grants, for specific projects; and a new category called “Foundation” grants, which provide larger amounts of long-term support for innovative, high-impact programs of research. Neuro researchers have been awarded 6 of these grants.
The Foundation grants cover a seven-year period for established investigators, and five years for early-career investigators.
List of Neuro recipients of Foundation grants:
• Dagher, Alain, Functional Neuroimaging of dopamine systems: application to Parkinson's Disease, addiction and obesity $2,155,301
• Gotman, Jean, Electrical and metabolic manifestations of human focal epilepsy $2,291,930
• Petrides, Michael, Comparative functional and anatomical study of human and monkey cortex $1,665,281
• Rouleau, Guy A, Genetic & Biological Studies of Brain Disorders $4,959,666
• Ruthazer, Edward S, Cellular and molecular mechanisms underlying activity-dependent neural circuit development $2,184,958
• Zatorre, Robert J, Auditory Cognitive Neuroscience: Pathways, Processes, Plasticity and Predispositions $1,889,652
A full list of CIHR grant recipients is available here: http://www.cihr-irsc.gc.ca/e/196.html
The Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital – The Neuro is a world-leading destination for brain research and advanced patient care. Since its founding in 1934 by renowned neurosurgeon Dr. Wilder Penfield, The Neuro has grown to be the largest specialized neuroscience research and clinical centre in Canada, and one of the largest in the world. The seamless integration of research, patient care, and training of the world’s top minds make The Neuro uniquely positioned to have a significant impact on the understanding and treatment of nervous system disorders. The Montreal Neurological Institute is a McGill University research and teaching institute. The Montreal Neurological Hospital is part of the Neuroscience Mission of the McGill University Health Centre. For more information, please visit www.theneuro.ca