Newly Admitted Students Registration

Key information for new students:

Registration opens

calendar When?

Scholarship recipients:

  • Friday, June 4, if admitted from a Quebec CEGEP
  • Friday, June 11, if admitted from a high school or transferring from another university

All other students:

  • Monday, June 7, if admitted from a Quebec CEGEP
  • Monday, June 14, if transferring from another university or with advanced standing qualifications (ex.: Advanced Levels, Advanced Placements, French Baccalaureate, International Baccalaureate, etc.), Special and Visiting Students
  • Tuesday, June 15, if admitted from high school

Minerva is our online registration tool. You must register for at least one course by Saturday, August 14 to avoid late registration fees (e.g. MUPD 135 for B.Mus. students or MUHL 186 for L.Mus. students).

The Visual Schedule Builder (VSB) is also a good tool you can use to build your weekly class schedule before adding courses on Minerva.

edit icon for course selection Required Courses

Click on your program to access a sample study plan:

  • B.Mus. sample 4-year study plan
  • L.Mus. sample 3-year study plan

Course Categories

There are three main course categories for music students. Each course category has a specific registration procedure and deadline.

  1. Practical Instruction (MUIN courses)

    • Also known as private instrumental  or voice lessons
    • Available for registration via an online application request (and not through Minerva)
    • Will be added to your records by the Department of Performance once your application has been processed and you have registered for at least one course in the fall semester
    • Application request deadline: Saturday, May 15, 2021
  2. Academic courses (theory, musicianship, music history)

    Theory and Musicianship:
    These courses generally do not have a performance element.

    Music History:
    An introductory music history course should be completed during your first year at Schulich.

    Placement exams will be offered online in July for those who are seeking advanced standing in theory and musicianship courses. Detail info about the placement tests is posted here.

    Language Proficiency
    If you are not confident in your English language skills, it is recommended to take an academic English course before registering for Western Musical Traditions (MUHL 186) or other humanities course(s). Recommended courses include Academic English Seminar (CESL 299) or ESL Academic English (CESL 300) to improve writing and analytical skills before taking our music history (MUHL) courses. You must write a placement test before you can register for one of the CESL courses. CESL course(s) can be used as B.Mus. elective(s).

    • These courses are compulsory for newly-admitted and transfer students in B.Mus. or L.Mus. programs.
    • IMPORTANT: These courses provide a solid foundation in your development as a musician. You risk delaying your graduation if you fail to complete the required courses recommended in the sample study plan.
    • All new and transfer students admitted to a B.Mus. or L.Mus. program must register for theory (core courses with MUTH or MUJZ prefixes) and musicianship (core courses with MUSP or MUJZ prefixes) during their first year.
    • Western Musical Traditions (MUHL 186) for all B.Mus. and L.Mus. programs in the classical program. You will be exempt from MUHL 186 if you have successfully completed equivalent history courses from Cegep, a music conservatory or university. Those who have passed RCM Grade 10 history exam will also be exempt from MUHL 186. Detail exemption criteria from MUHL 186 is found on the placement exam website.
    • Jazz History Survey (MUJZ 187) for all B.Mus. Jazz Performance, B.Mus. Faculty – Jazz Concentration and L.Mus. Jazz Performance programs. You will be exempt from MUJZ 187 if you have successfully completed equivalent jazz history courses from Cegep, a music conservatory or university.
  3. Electives:

    Note: L.Mus. students are not required to take electives to fulfill the licentiate program requirements.

    • Music or non-music courses outside your major taken to fulfill degree requirements
    • Allow you to explore interests outside your principal program, gain exposure to a wider field of studies, and to take advantage of the vast scope of learning opportunities which McGill provides
    • B.Mus. and L.Mus. students are not permitted to take courses with MUAR prefixes to fulfill their program’s elective requirements. MUAR are courses destined for students pursuing a major other than music, whereby they will gain a basic knowledge of the topic being taught.
  4. Ensembles (MUEN courses)

    • Verify the ensemble requirements on your program's web page and look over the ensemble descriptions and audition schedules. Audition information will be posted online as it becomes available.
    • All students must audition in order to be assigned in a large and/or small ensemble(s).
    • Chamber music ensembles (MUEN 560, jazz combos (MUEN 570 or MUEN 574) are assigned based on auditions.
    • IMPORTANT: It is your responsibility to register for the ensemble(s) you have been assigned to by the add/drop deadline. Please ensure you have the correct Course Registration Number (CRN) when adding your assigned ensemble(s) on Minerva. You will be liable for a course section change fee if you made a registration error and request the Music Student Affairs Office to change section(s) on your behalf after the add/drop deadline.

For further questions about auditions, contact [at]

questions and answers Frequent Asked Questions

In-person Teaching

What are McGill’s plan about teaching and class delivery starting Fall 2021?

Updates on McGill’s plan on Fall 2021 class delivery can be found on the Coronavirus (Covid-19) FAQ website.

Fees & Payments

Am I expected to pay for the full academic year in my first e-bill if I register for courses in both fall and winter semesters?

No, you will only be billed for your fall courses when you receive your first e-bill. You will receive a separate e-bill in early December for your winter courses.

Transfers (including transfer credits)

What does it mean, a U0 or U1 student? How do I know if I am a U0 or U1 student?

In general, CEGEP students, transfer students and students who completed a diploma in French or International Baccalaureate will begin the program as a U1 student. Students coming from high school will start the Bachelor of Music (B.Mus.) as a U0 student, or U1 for those in a Licentiate diploma. U1 students have an earlier registration opening date. See Registration to find out when you may begin to register.

What kind of transfer credits can I receive?

Visit the “Transfer Credit” web page to learn about the type of transfer credits you may receive if:

  • you have completed a DEC from Cegep.
  • you have completed a French or International Baccalauréat.
  • you have completed Advanced Placement (AP) exams.
  • you are a transfer student from another university or music conservatory.
Back to top