You must upload a video recording by February 1, which will be considered your audition.
- Perform five pieces of various tempos and styles from the standard jazz repertoire, including a ballad and up-tempo “rhythm changes” tune.
- Perform an original composition.
- Include a list of 25-30 standard jazz tunes from your performing repertoire and a lead sheet of the original composition.
All instruments: performances must be accompanied by live musicians.
In addition, please follow the requirements below for your respective instrument if listed.
Brass: A classical étude
Piano: One jazz standard of the five required can be a solo piano piece (this appreciated but not required)
Drums: At least three of the five jazz standards should have a swing feel
Bass: For each piece, demonstrate your ability to accompany a soloist and take an improvised solo. Play the melody for at least two of the pieces.
In addition, a solo classical etude played with the bow may be included if you wish but is not required. Electric bass players may perform the optional etude without the bow.
How to record your material
- Make sure the sound quality on your video recording is excellent. Re-record a piece if it does not sound clear. Your recordings should be less than 8 months old.
- You can submit recordings from live performances.
- We accept avi, mov, mp4 or wmv formats.
- Follow the instructions to upload your video by December 15th. Upload times depend on file size and speed of service provider.