Screening material (due by December 1st)
All Certificate in Conducting applicants must submit a video screening for pre-selection by December 1st.
- 30 minute video (camera facing the conductor) showing 15 minutes of a rehearsal and 15 minutes of performance excerpts featuring a minimum of two contrasting works.
For instructions on how to upload your material, follow our application guide.
On-campus auditions 2019:
Choral Conducting Live Auditions:
- Cert. in Choral conducting: Wed., January 30 & Mon., February 4, 2019
Before You Arrive:
- Check uApply for your individual audition date, time, location and accompanist information.
- You must confirm whether or not you will attend with our Admissions Office staff (through your application in uApply).
To Prepare for Your On-Campus Audition:
- Applicants who are invited to an audition will receive the audition repertoire in advance. Choose material that you are comfortable playing and that showcases your musicianship and technical proficiency.
- Prepare to be interviewed about your experience and your educational and professional goals.
- If you are coming from outside Canada, check with Immigration Canada for travel document requirements.
On Audition Day:
If you are experiencing travel delays on the day of your audition or you are unable to attend your audition, please email our melanie.collins [at] mcgill.ca (Recruitment Office).
- A minimum of one hour prior to your audition, you must check-in at the Strathcona Music Building lobby (555 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, Quebec).
*Check-in is also mandatory for current students.
- Practice rooms are available during the audition period.
- During check-in, directions to your audition location and practice rooms will be provided.
Tours will be given by the Schulich Ambassadors during the lunch break.
Details will be available at the check-in desk.
- Accompanists are provided free of charge for your audition time only.
- Rehearsal costs vary and are your responsibility.
- Contact your accompanist at least 48 hours before your audition to arrange rehearsal times, provide music, etc. (see uApply).
You can also bring your own accompanists, at your expense.
- You will participate in a 15-30 minute rehearsal with one of our choral and/or wind ensembles.
- You may be asked to sight-sing and read a score at the keyboard.
- You may be briefly tested on your background knowledge of choral or wind band literature.
- Prepare for a 30 minute interview.
Where to Stay:
Book a hotel in Montreal:
Special accommodations have been arranged with four downtown hotels. All hotels are within walking distance of the Schulich School of Music.
Special room prices are available to the McGill University community: staff, students, visitors, etc.
If you are making reservations by phone, be sure to mention McGill University.