8 credits from the following:
Beginning of year: Book the hall for your recital with the Production Office, Room C208.
The following deadlines apply for all exams listed above.
Submit your Graduate Exam Application Form by (this is a different form than the one given by the Production Office):
- October 1st for exams between November and January;
- December 1st for exams between February and March;
- February 15th for exams between April and October.
Selecting & Booking a Hall
- Attend concerts in the halls. Visit our Facilities pages early in your program to find concert hall seating plans, technical requirements, and booking instructions.
- Consider repertoire, instrumentation, type of audience, and any other additional requirements (i.e. overhead projection).
- Check the list of instruments in each hall. Harpsichords, for example, can only be used if they are already available in the hall.
- Discuss with your teacher how to use and schedule options to complete 8 credits of performance exams required in your program.
Examiners for Performance Exams
Please see the Examiner's List under the Graduate Exam Application Form section.
- Agreements with accompanists should be confirmed in writing and include dates and times of rehearsals, repertoire, fees, and how the fees will be paid.
- Cultivate a professional working relationship with your accompanist:
- Provide repertoire well ahead of rehearsals and concert times.
- Create an efficient rehearsal schedule, with defined goals, in advance.
- Cancel or change rehearsal times only in exceptional circumstances.
- Be prepared for each rehearsal. Listen to recordings of great performances and discuss with your teacher what makes that particular collaborative relationship so artistic or powerful.
Recording your Recital
Recitals can be recorded using the one-touch recording system. Otherwise there will be a service charge according to the maximum of musicians on stage at any given time. Please contact the Production Office (production.music [at] mcgill.ca) for prices. All recording requests must be made on the appropriate form available from the Production Office (C-208) and returned no later than 2 weeks before the event.
The final mark for all performance exams will be an average of the three grades submitted by the three examiners.
See the Performance Examination Policy (PDF) for more information.
"You should always ask yourself, in what way will this program challenge, enrich, and redefine the musical expectations of my audience?
-Adrian Foster, D.Mus. (organ)