McGill University's oboe faculty are presenting McGill University Oboe Day on November 3rd 2018 from 9:00am-7:00pm.
Join us at McGill University's Schulich School of Music for a full day of oboe events November 3rd. It's a day including an oboe competition with CASH prizes (details, below), master classes, browsing double reed vendors, trying new instruments, and recitals for oboe students, performers and enthusiasts of all ages and levels!
This year we are pleased to announce our visiting guest artist is Eugene Izotov, professor of oboe at the San Francisco Conservatory and Principal Oboe of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.
Oboe Competition Details
Application deadline (registration & repertoire submission): October 7, 2018
- Open to oboists ages 13 to 19 who are not McGill University students
- Repertoire of choice, approximately 4-6 minutes in duration
- A piano accompanist will be provided at no charge, but competitors may bring their own accompanists if desired.
- McGill professors and graduate students will form the jury panel.
- 1st Prize: $1000 Twigg Musique gift certificate
- 2nd prize: $500
- 3rd prize $300
- Certificates will be provided after the competition.
Professor of oboe at the San Francisco Conservatory &
Principal Oboe at the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
Chamber music musician and soloist
All events are free and open to the public. Registration is required. Register online here!
Venue: Clara Lichtenstein Hall, Strathcona Music Building, 555 Sherbrooke Street West, Montreal, QC.
- 9 am : Oboe Competition participants rehearse with their accompanists
- 10 am : Oboe Competition in Clara Lichtenstein Hall
- 11:30 am : Awards Ceremony
- 12 pm : Lunch Break / Vendors / Student performances in School lobbies
- 1 pm : Master Class in Tanna Schulich Hall with invited guest, Eugene Izotov, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra Principal Oboe
- 3:30 pm : Break / Vendors / Student performances in School lobbies
- 4 pm : Workshop on Audition Preparation and Success (bilingual) with invited guest, Vincent Boilard, Montreal Symphony Orchestra Associate Principal Oboe
- 4:45 pm : Break / Vendors / Student performances in School lobbies
- 5 pm : Student performances in School lobbies
- 5:45 pm : Final Concert in Clara Lichtenstein Hall, performers will include Vincent Boilard, Jacqueline Leclair and others, program TBD
- 6:45 pm - 8 pm : Final Reception in Tanna Schulich Hall lobby - food and drink!!
Sponsors & Vendors
Oboe Day will include exhibits by our sponsors.